Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i installed my akra a while ago and just sold it to Fantas & i'm getting an Arata... it didn't seem like the stock headers used gaskets where they install in the engine... did any of you guys who installed aftermarket full exhausts use gaskets? if so, did they crush once you torqued them or should u just tighten they your good to go...?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I replaced my gasket when I installed my full Arata. And the torque value for the nuts (exhaust pipe joint flange nuts) at the headers is 9 lbs-ft. Those gaskets seem to be made with copper and they crush flat when torqued down.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I reused the stock one, and replaced the gasket for the midpipe.

·
Registered
965 Posts
unless you destroy it taking off the stock headers you can reuse it..

·
Registered
222 Posts
There are definitely gaskets for the header. And they are to be used only once. If you look at one of these in their new condition, you'll easily see why they should only be used once. they're made of copper in a hollow, toroidal shape. They will deform to the space between the header and the engine block. Since your stock header and aftermarket headers won't be the same shape, you should replace them when you install the aftermarket exhaust. They're only a few bucks per gasket (you need 4) and most dealers have those in stock.

Obviously, many have reused gaskets. While many have not had a problem doing this, the seal you would get from a re-used gasket will be nowhere near as good as one from a new gasket.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i use the old ones they stayed in the head when i took the oem head pipes off....jus be carefull reinstalling the new ones and you will be fine

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hey, i installed my akra a while ago and just sold it to Fantas & i'm getting an Arata... it didn't seem like the stock headers used gaskets where they install in the engine... did any of you guys who installed aftermarket full exhausts use gaskets? if so, did they crush once you torqued them or should u just tighten they your good to go...?

thanks guys!
i'd recommend that you replace the gaskets. they're only $3 or $4 each. you need 4(duh!) but yeah so it's only $12 to $16.

you have your headers off anyway.

the reason i recommend the gasket is because my headers are currently leaking serious air.

my bike went from stock headers, to SS yoshi full system headers to full tit Arata headers.

here is how i tested this. i had my bike running in neutral idling......had my buddy block the the exhaust exit....i put my ear near the headers and i hear lots of PSSSSSSssSssss. normally the engine is supposed to cut out after a while. lol it's a PITA to uninstall and reinstall...do it right the first time just in case!

·
Registered
127 Posts
didnt replace min with my akra...it leaked out of #1 so took it back off replaced all 4 and noooo problems at all....sounds great

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I don't recall using gaskets when I installed a FS Arata on my buddy's 05 and I didn't use a mid pipe gasket on my Leo Vince SO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts