Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the 954 is finally dead. After 5 seasons with it, it finally came to an end when I dog ran out if front of me and I t-boned it at about 55mph. Dog dead, bike totaled, but I am o.k. Had all my gear on, (leather suit, boots, gloves back protector etc.) slid 210ft down the road and into ditch. All I had was a bruised and swollen hand that was luckily not broke. Well unfortunately I have been put in a situation in that I need to get a new bike. I will try to keep this short. Didn't want a litre bike, because really just don't care for any of them at the moment. Even the 1000rr didn't appeal to me, I sat on it and it just feels soo big to me and I don't like that. Plus from a money stand point I want to be able to pay in full with cash, even though insurance will be paying for it I don't want to have to take out a loan for 2 or 3000$ or pay that out of pocket. So I broke it down to the 06 600rr and the 06 gixxer 750. I am a honda man at heart and the only reason I even considered the 750 is because it was a 750. I thought it would be an easier transition coming from a 954. I have connections to basically get them at close to the same price, maybe 700$ more for the 750 but I would have to drive 7 hours one way to get it. Havent' rode a 600 since I had my zx6r back in 2001, so my brother in law let me take his 2003 gixxer 600 for a spin and I got to tell you I was pleasantly suprised at how much I liked it. I thought I wouldn't but I did. For what I like to do ( trackdays and spirited twisties) I can see myself being quite happy with a 600. I know this is a honda forum, but trying to be unbiased ya think picking the 600rr over the 750 is a good choice? It's killing me that the new 07's are coming out but I really don't have much of choice, need a bike for this season. Thanks for your patience fellas and any input would be great. Don't pick up the bike till friday but still not too late to change my mind. As far as looks I love the 600rr hands down. Just wondering if I will miss the power after a while. On my 954 I run in the advanced class and usually was one of the quicker riders, so I consider myself a pretty good rider. Don't get me wrong, I have been blown away by guys who were on 600's and older 600's at that so I know I can be just as fast on a 600 if not faster, but it will probably be a big learning curve for me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ya the power loss is big. for me im a big honda guy too so i would say honda i also don't really like the suzuki. if u had the money i would rock a new r1 wow friend let me ride that sunday and boy it ruined the power band on my bike feels like it doesn't even kick in now after being on the r1. I know alot of the guys on this forum race this bike and do very well. U have a tough choice depends all what ur lookin for i guess the gsxr comes with alot of upgrades u wouldn't have to do later such as more power first off slipper clutch, i think maybe just ride both if u can either wayy ur prob. goin to second guess ur self ne ways just get the honda haha

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
+1 on the R1. There is a big difference in power coming off the 954 to an RR. I agree with you on the 1000RR, it is a bit porky. Right now, those 750s look real nice and what Suzuki has done to it is pretty nice. If I were you, I'd take a shot at the 750s even if Suzuki isn't known for its user-friendliness or smoothness (like a Honda). I do really like the R1 and you'd be surprised at how "small" it rides of the litre class. If you're looking for not too much of a drop in power, but the "flickability" of a 600, I'd go with the bikes in this order:
1. R1
2. GSX-R750
3. 600RR
4. GSX-R600
5. R6

This is just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have had the opportunity to ride with a buddy of mine that just bought an 06' GSXR750. He walks away from me in the straights for obvious reasons, but in the twisty sections, he can't pull away. My last bike was a 2000 R1, and I can honestly say i am very satisfied with the performance of the RR in every respect. You tend to be a little more rev-happy with the RR, but that is a necessity due to the 600 engine. Once you get a pipe on it, the high revving actually gets a liitle addictive. Best of luck on your choice, and ride safe.

As for Sooperman, and Davedog, if you like the R1 so much, go buy one and trade in the RR. The powerband of the 954 is nothing when compared to that of an R1. The R1 is a power hungry Liter bike, just like all open-class liter bikes are presently. If you like track days and riding the twistys, sheer power is not the way to go. You need useable, predictable power all the way through the band. That combined with Honda reliability should make your choice very simple.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I say go for the 750. They are an awesome machine. I too am a Honda man but with no 750 in the stable Honda lacks. I'm still praying for a CBR750RR...just love the sound of it. The 750 is as light as most 600's with about 25-30 more hp. It's the perfect size motor IMHO, just wish others would build them as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think if you want the best of both worlds than the GSXR-750 is a good choice. It is finished out nice and you wont even have to go buy flush mounts or new tail-lights. Just take off the rear fender, relocate the license plate and go. Pretty cool IMO. The new GSXRs have a very nice seating position as well along with a few other cool features.

However, if I was buying new I'd take a long look at the Triumph 675. That bike is drop dead gorgeous and is getting rave reviews.

Of course, you can never go wrong with a 600RR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My friend has a 954 and took my 06 600rr for a ride. Afterwards, he thought the bike was great, handled nice, & power was smooth, but lacked the power of his (obviously). It just wasn't close to what he was use to. For him, once he stepped up from the 600's, he doesn't want to go back. But for me the 600 is perfect.

Steve

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
PCIII, slip-on and new gearing will change your mind.

won't have the top speed as the other guys, and your mileage will suck nuts, but a nice -1/+3, 520 conversion would kick ass.

·
Registered
757 Posts
hey ridgerunner i wouldn't get a r1 i really like my 600rr its perfect for me i feel really stable unlike other bikes i like knowing that the fronts goin to stay planted for me i don't think i could honestly handle the r1 my rr is perfect. I just think someone with alot of experience with that kinda power would dig it plus its feels really light and small. BUt of course just cuz they have the power doesn't mean there faster i ride with two friends both have newer r1 and i can hang right there they might walk away n the straights but next corner im right back i luv how stable the rr is and smooth power band. thats why im stickin with it.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
+1 on the Triumph. I recently had to choose a new bike and my first choice was the rr. After taalking with some of the racers they all recommended the Triumph first, then maybe the rr or the Kawi 636. I had to run around town to look at em all. In the end I chose the rr because it is predictable and has more than enough power. I feel your pain.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
600RidgeRunner said:
As for Sooperman, and Davedog, if you like the R1 so much, go buy one and trade in the RR. The powerband of the 954 is nothing when compared to that of an R1. The R1 is a power hungry Liter bike, just like all open-class liter bikes are presently. If you like track days and riding the twistys, sheer power is not the way to go. You need useable, predictable power all the way through the band. That combined with Honda reliability should make your choice very simple.
Nah, I'll stick with my RR. I love it a lot. I was merely suggesting, if he didn't want a bike that was too down on power and rode "small" an R1 might be a good choice. I'd never pick one up myself, since the RR is enough for me right now. But, if you notice, if he's okay with a 600's riding demands, I ranked the RR as the top 600cc bike. So, yeah, read my comment a bit more careful.

I wouldn't trade my bike in for anything... Well, I mean not ANYTHING... If a nice Duc was sitting on my driveway, who wouldn't trade up? It'd be tough, but dang, the Duc is sexy!

·
Registered
593 Posts
750 For sure, because our bikes are only going to be new until August when the new 07s are released. At that point the value of our current style bike will go down signifigantly. Demand will also go down, if as expected the new 07 CBR600RR is as bad ass as we are hoping it will be. I would say the 750 because I have read reviews and they all were drooling over it. And it will be the new style and current bike design for atleast two more years after this.

I love my 600RR. But I will be selling it before then end of July. That way I will be able to get more for it, and have a better chance of selling it. I can wait until the fall when the new ones arrive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to thank you guys very much for all of our input, it was very much appreciated. Seems like there were alot of votes to try the 750, but I am sorry to say I am going to have to disappoint you. I have decided to stay in the honda family because it's what I know and what I believe in. When I think about it, yea my 954 had great power and it was nice but it's not why I liked it so much. I liked it so much because ( I thought) it handle great for a litre bike, well alomost litre bike, and I think the 600 will handle even better. Trackdays and twisties IS what I like to do so I think a 600 will be just fine. I am not a big power junky, I like the corners. Not to say the 750 wouldn't be great but it is after all a suzuki. The power of a 750 is not going to make me any faster around the track or in the twisties. I considered my self quite fast on the 954 but believe me I have had 600's come by me like I was standing still, so I don't think a 600cc bike is the limiting factor here, and I think most of you will agree. I like this forum and hope to talk to alot of you guys soon. First thing on the rr will be steel lines. This winter Ohlins shock and front forks worked, probably form dan kyle. That's where I will start. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
unclepaulie said:
Not to say the 750 wouldn't be great but it is after all a suzuki. The power of a 750 is not going to make me any faster around the track or in the twisties.
You are a wise, wise man.

I'm proud to be acquainted with you.

Anyway, we we're all just using reverse psychology on you. Telling you to buy the slowzuki so you would buy the RR.

Honda. For. Life.

·
Registered
494 Posts
unclepaulie said:
Well the 954 is finally dead. After 5 seasons with it, it finally came to an end when I dog ran out if front of me and I t-boned it at about 55mph. Dog dead, bike totaled, but I am o.k. Had all my gear on, (leather suit, boots, gloves back protector etc.) slid 210ft down the road and into ditch. All I had was a bruised and swollen hand that was luckily not broke. Well unfortunately I have been put in a situation in that I need to get a new bike. I will try to keep this short. Didn't want a litre bike, because really just don't care for any of them at the moment. Even the 1000rr didn't appeal to me, I sat on it and it just feels soo big to me and I don't like that. Plus from a money stand point I want to be able to pay in full with cash, even though insurance will be paying for it I don't want to have to take out a loan for 2 or 3000$ or pay that out of pocket. So I broke it down to the 06 600rr and the 06 gixxer 750. I am a honda man at heart and the only reason I even considered the 750 is because it was a 750. I thought it would be an easier transition coming from a 954. I have connections to basically get them at close to the same price, maybe 700$ more for the 750 but I would have to drive 7 hours one way to get it. Havent' rode a 600 since I had my zx6r back in 2001, so my brother in law let me take his 2003 gixxer 600 for a spin and I got to tell you I was pleasantly suprised at how much I liked it. I thought I wouldn't but I did. For what I like to do ( trackdays and spirited twisties) I can see myself being quite happy with a 600. I know this is a honda forum, but trying to be unbiased ya think picking the 600rr over the 750 is a good choice? It's killing me that the new 07's are coming out but I really don't have much of choice, need a bike for this season. Thanks for your patience fellas and any input would be great. Don't pick up the bike till friday but still not too late to change my mind. As far as looks I love the 600rr hands down. Just wondering if I will miss the power after a while. On my 954 I run in the advanced class and usually was one of the quicker riders, so I consider myself a pretty good rider. Don't get me wrong, I have been blown away by guys who were on 600's and older 600's at that so I know I can be just as fast on a 600 if not faster, but it will probably be a big learning curve for me.
First, sorry about your crash, big props for having on gear. I wear full gear ALL THE TIME. Three crashes last year, full gear each time, and come out unscathed each time.

On getting the 600, I am in the novice class, and I have been pushing my RC51 around the track. Getting close to intermediate now. However, I just purchased a 2006 600rr for my track/race bike. At this point, stock, I am sloppy on it, haven't took it to the track, but I have faith in what others have been telling me, and what I have been reading. I am going to learn a lot of this 600, opposed to my RC51.

I think you are going to be blowing away guys on the 1000s in short order. Yeah, they will take you on the straights, but you will own the corners!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts