Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped into the local Yamaha shop saturday thinking i was just looking, anyways the guy was gonna give me a real good trade on my RR for his last R1 that he had. I told him i had yellow gear and he said he would throw in a blue Arai helmet. It was raining and i didnt have my RR with me so i told him i would bring it in today(monday). All weekend i was debating whether to get it or not. After thinking about it enough, i called him this morning and said sorry, i just cant part with my RR. I figured i had so much invested in the RR and man do i love how it rides. Has anyone else been in this situation and regretted it or glad they stayed with their 600 RR???

V

·
0 Posts
Was it the 04 you were looking at?... My dad has a new 04 R1 and it is awesome. It is about the same size as the RR and weighs about the same too. Riding it feels like a 600 because the amazing power doesnt really kick in until above 7000. It feels really nimble and planted in the turns like our RR's. Oh yeah..did I mention the style of it...? It is awesome looking, just as good looking as the RR. They are two of the best looking bikes out there. I think if I could get a good deal on one, I would do it.

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah, you have to give some more details. How good of a deal was it, and what year R1?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was an 04 blue R1, he was gonna give me 7K for trade in on my RR, 10,699 otd and the helmet. He was also willing to give me 100 off the TBR exhaust if i got it through them. The thing is, i have only been riding for 2 years, i started on an F4i and got the RR in may last year, i dont want to be the guy that buys a bike he isnt ready for (call me a sally). Also, my RR is paid off, so i would have another 5K to pay off again. I also have at least 1k in extras on my RR (most of which i purchased over the winter) and i would have to start over again. Im also a loyal honda guy, but i have yet to find a deal like this on a 1000RR. I know the R1 is a sick bike. I also figure that if really want one later, i could always get a close out at the end of the season.

C

·
0 Posts
If you werent ready for it, then stick to the RR. Seems like a nice deal though. I would have passed it up too though because the RR is enough bike for me at this point. Not ready for a liter bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there was a sign when i left the dealer when we hit the highway, there was an 03 R1 on a flatbed, on its side, in real bad shape. Call me supersticious hehe. just thought it was wierd

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Ohh man, that was an awesome deal...it was an 04 blue? I don't know if I would have done it or not...if it were me...and I wasn't trying to get into racing (one of the reasons I'm going back down to a 600RR)...I probably would have done it...those bikes are insane...they're so small, and from what i've heard, they're pretty similar to riding the RR. But, as long as you're happy. And 7k trade in? That's a lot from a dealership

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO that deal or better will still be around as the year goes on and maybe even better at the end of the year closeout, especially where you are. Wait til it snows again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
VinRR said:
Was it the 04 you were looking at?... My dad has a new 04 R1 and it is awesome. It is about the same size as the RR and weighs about the same too. Riding it feels like a 600 because the amazing power doesnt really kick in until above 7000. It feels really nimble and planted in the turns like our RR's. Oh yeah..did I mention the style of it...? It is awesome looking, just as good looking as the RR. They are two of the best looking bikes out there. I think if I could get a good deal on one, I would do it.
I agree, They are the two best bikes out right now!

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmm

After seeing them all lined up next to each other..The one that sticks out to me is the ZX10r. The king of the liter bikes too. As light as our 600rrs and outperforms all the other liter bikes. I think the new R1 is fugly IMHO. Way to pointy.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Your better off with the rr. The r1 probably would have broken down right after you bought it. Isn't there some kind of issue with them blowing motors left and right?

·
Registered
584 Posts
That is indeed a tough one to turn down, Insurance would have made the call for me because if it was still cheap, I would not have the will power to say no.

G

·
0 Posts
I would stay away from the new R1, it seems to have a ton of problems. Here's a quote from a friend off another forum (and he's a control rider for track schools, so he usually know what he's talking about):

The new R1 has problems! It needs the rear raised, but you can't do it because trail is already too extreme in stock trim, and no way to raise the front more than 2mm--Yamah made the fork tubes too short! Install the new Dunlop 190 GPA or 195 slicks and it makes it even worse.

It plain sucks! I get head shake at 140MPH that just is not acceptable.

I hear the Superstock R1s that are kicking ass in AMA have a fork mod of some sort that meets class rules but costs 7 grand to do. Now, how the hell can I justify that?!? Maybe Ohlins R&T? ****, another 2k, not going to happen. Adjustable triples? Another grand? I don't think so.

I should have bought the Honda... Frown
Now I'm sure that there will eventually be a cure, but not right now. He was speaking with regards to clearance issues, and yes, the stock steering damper is installed.

V

·
0 Posts
I also have at least 1k in extras on my RR (most of which i purchased over the winter) and i would have to start over again.
I would do the deal for that price.... if you feel you are ready, go for it. It really isnt that much of a beast because it lost a lot of its lowdown torque from last year. It is very controllable because power kicks in up high. It will power wheelie in second, but in a very controllable manner.... nice and smooth. There really isnt much you would need to put into the new R1.. in reference to starting over... it already has Ti exhaust, a damper, nice wheels, awesome lights, etc. ...I would do the deal..throttle control. ...and about the motors blowing left and right, that is bs. It happened to like 2 bikes out of them all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback guys. At this time im gonna stick with my RR, but im still going to consider the R1. Maybe get a close out 04 or a new 05. But its good to hear everyones opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined the forum! This forum is great!

I was in a very similar dilemma a couple weeks ago. I had (still do) an '03 R1. Just purchased new for an okay price back in September. I just finished modifying the bike the way I liked. Most major was a slip-on and a fender eliminator but it was the way I liked it.

Two weeks ago, a buddy of mine sent me an email. Somebody is getting rid of their '04 R1 for 9k with only 50 miles on it due to insurance costs. It was about an hour's drive. Drove out there to check the bike out. Mint condition. I'm talking tank stickers and everything were still on it. I was skeptical at first because it seemed like too good of a deal but after meeting the guy, he seemed to be one of the most honest people around. He also works at a dealership and if I were to purchase another bike, I'd drive out there again and buy it from this guy.

To make a long story longer, I bought the bike but all this time I was thinking in my head what the heck I was doing. Why am I looking at another bike when I just bought a bike and finished modifying it the way I wanted? Not only that, the '03 R1 is already well beyond my abilities! Admittedly, even now, I still look back and wonder why I wasted all that money! But you know what, when I hop on the '04 R1, all these questions and self doubt go away. The '04 R1, like all the other new liter bikes out there, is just awesome!

The point of the this reply. I'm glad to see that there are people like frikshun23 who are intelligent enough to realize that having the latest and greatest and the most powerful motorcycle isn't always the best choice. I wish somebody told me that before plunking down another chunk of money on another bike!

As for the the '04 issues that have been spreading. The only major issue that I know of is a clutch issue that has only been encountered on a number of bikes. They seem to go away after the break in period. I haven't experienced it myself and I hope not to. Their was also an engine that had some major issues but I believe that was due to a mechanic not servicing it correctly. Like any new model, there are going to be problems. The 1000RR has a speedo problem. No big deal, that's why there is a warranty.

Now I'm gonna go ride so I can forget the debt I just put myself in! :bitchslap:

·
Registered
175 Posts
...and about the motors blowing left and right, that is bs. It happened to like 2 bikes out of them all.
Negative my friend... My neighbore's R1 motor blew up at 2000 miles.

After seeing them all lined up next to each other..The one that sticks out to me is the ZX10r.

I agree with you, the new kawa is bad ass! way better than the 1000rr

1 - 20 of 25 Posts