Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an odd question:

**Normally I would have never done this (because it was so freakin dangerous) but I was out of town and had to get back to pick up my daughter from school.**

I ended up riding on the highway for about 70 miles with a 30mph crosswind with gusts up to 45+. Needless to say it was a rather unpleasant hour or so.. constantly fighting the wind and trying to keep from blowing off the road on my little 07 RR.

Anyway, I made it through but as I got into town I notice in the reflection of a pickup truck that my wheel seemed to be misaligned.. with the handlebars straight/level my front wheel was turned to the left a bit. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice clearly with a quick glance.

This is obviously troubling. No, I did not hit anything.. not even a stiff bump in the road. Is it possible that just fighting the wind that hard for an hour or so could do this, and also.. what should I do?

Thanks
Devin

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I didn't even know that could happen.I am curious on what caused this. I will check my RR today and see if the handle bars and perfectly straight with the wheel or not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me either, I'm a little freaked out. Wouldn't surprise me though, I've ridden in some windy conditions before but this was INSANE. I'll prolly take it to the shop tomorrow, but rather get input from a real person before the dealer sells me a new damn fork....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm thinking it's probably fine. Remember wind makes you lean the bike to counter act it. So that means the wheel has to be pushed in a certain direction a little in order for the bike to lean and counter act the wind. After riding like that for a decent amount of time you probably don't even notice that your automatically counter steering.

Do remember that motorcycles do not drive straight. If you drove your bike through a paint spot you would notice the front tire lines go from left to right to left to right. This is because the bike automatically balances/corrects for itself. This is why edge traps will put you down faster then shi*. This also applies especially to slooping or rough pavement as the bike will search for an equilibrium.

Still getting it checked out doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do the triple trees look straight? If so it might just be your clip ons that are twisted.

I'd be very surprised if your fork tubes have twisted in the triple trees, but it isn't impossible.

The only other thing I can think of is bending the tubes, but you would of had to of hit something for that to happen (insert story where someone has bent their forks without hitting something :) ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts