Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 3 years of owning a bike I was heavily talked into doing a track day.

Did one of the Miller ART days, so we were on the Go-cart track.

It was my first one so it was a huge learning experience, but also the most fun I've ever had on my bike!

These pictures are good because it shows me what to work on and improve. But i thought I would throw up the ones I liked :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
damn that looks fun i cant wait till i get to do my first track day

·
Registered
793 Posts
Awsome

Nice pic's man. I did my first trackdays last year and I'm hooked. Even if you're not ripping around at track record pace it's nice to know that the only limits are you and there isn't going to me a car pull out of a driveway or a cop pop up and ticket you for 11 over the limit.

You're pic's look a LOT like the ones of me from my first trackday - and most others first day too. So were you like me and FELT like you were really getting down and leaning into those turns and then surprised to see the reality in the pic's?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're pic's look a LOT like the ones of me from my first trackday - and most others first day too. So were you like me and FELT like you were really getting down and leaning into those turns and then surprised to see the reality in the pic's?
:crackup::crackup: totally! i remember finishing a session and thinking, man that was good i really got over. then i look at my tire and still had 1/4" chicken strips left :banghead:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Great pics. Most first TD's are all about learning the ropes and getting comfortable while properly riding the bike; not necessarily going fast or dragging knee right away.

Looking through the turn is pretty important, which from this pic seems like you got it down pretty good

Like the instructors say, "look where you want to go", usually at the exit of the turn and onto the next turn ahead.

Other than that, just lower your upper body a bit by sticking your chest to the tank during turns. I'm not an expert by any means, but thats what i've learned. Try to hang half your butt off the seat (one buttcheek should be off the seatpad lol). I know this might all feel weird at first, but the more you do it, the more it'll become natural.

Practice practice and more seat time and you'll get it. Baby steps, as they say. Cheers :cheers:

Reactions: Austicus

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks man!....That was one of the biggest things i noticed from all these pictures is i need to bring my head and chest closer to the bike. Thanks for the advice though! can't wait to get back out there and refine it more and more.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Looking good man. You are getting your upper body off well which is most peoples big issue. Next time out work on getting your chest down and your lower body out a little more turning your hips towards the inside of the turn will help there. With that being said judging by your pics you are miles ahead of where I was when I did my first track day. Good to hear you enjoyed it and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
536 Posts
your screwed man. i just did my first one last week and i already have like 4 more set up. bye bye money. hello fun.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Totally awesome. Thanks for posting pictures.

I won't threadjack with my own photos, but just to encourage you, this is my first track day. I was riding that bike as fast as I could, which wasn't very fast. But it felt like my face was going to melt off from crazy speeds. And people were passing me left and right.

And this is my most recent. You can see there's a wee bit of difference.

The first day is definitely the hardest. There's so much to figure out and everything happens so fast. Plus if you've been riding street there are many habits that don't translate well, such as riding an easy pace, using less throttle, upshifting with the clutch, covering the brake, etc, etc. I never pinned and held the throttle on my bike before I went to the track. When I finally did it scared the sh** out of me. (Also I was on my big bike, which made the acceleration even more violent.)

I hope you had fun and that you continue to do it. I think it's the most fun you can have without breaking the law. And it's more fun than a lot of stupid illegal stuff I've done.

Please post more pics as you make progress.
See you out there.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha thats awesome. and definitely encouraging to see other people started where i was at and drastically improved. thanks for sharing those pics as well.

I got some video of my first few laps from my friend following with a go pro and then my last lap of the day too. Ill post up a little edit, it'll be cool to just see the progression made through the day.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts