Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jsut recalled that I never purchased warranty for my 08cbr at time of purchase. The finance guy told me i could purchase it anytime before my factory 12-month coverage is over.

There is a general saying about bikes and warranties - things go wrong after ur 12 month warranty has expired...how true do u feel this is...or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Is it worth purchasing? Hondas are built pretty solid so i was comfortable not buying 1 but still considering it before my 12-month coverage is over

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
I look at it this way. How good of a wrench turner are you? If you have faith in the tools you have and know how to use them you will be fine with anything that happens. 12 months is a good amount of time to know if you have a lemon. Never had warranty, never needed it. Just my case. Three bikes and counting. T

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've been working on race cars for quite some time before i bought my bike so with the help of this site and a garage+tools, im quite fine. My main concern is failure of parts (expen$ive parts that is)

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
The instances of this are rare. The money you are going to pay for the warranty you can save it or buy something nice for the bike. Take care of it and it will take care of you. T

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Why wouldn't you be able to purchase an extended warranty after the manufacture warranty ran out? I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my bike two years used.

But on your note, I can't say it's worth it. Mine was $900 for a two year extension. I mainly bought it because the bike was used. Haven't needed it and doubt I will. Money more than likely wasted.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Extended warranty is something you probably won't use. However, you are sucker if you buy a brand new bike from the dealer and have major shyt go wrong after 12 months, out of warranty. If you can afford a brand new $9k bike, you can afford to warranty it with $900 dollars. Don't be penny-wise, pound-foolish.

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
There is always fine print with warranties. They will do everything in there power to find a way for warranty not to cover something. $900 will buy you a basically new engine on ebay. If anything goes wrong, take that $900 and get another engine, fix the one you have and sell it. You will make your money back. Works for some, others it doesn't. T

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no warranty will be purchased here :)

i have much faith in Honda seeing how i have owned 7 cars to date...my upmost reliable vehicle has been a Honda

·
Premium Member
14,336 Posts
Bet is has something to do with wheelies!!!!!!!

G

·
Extended warranties are how Honda makes their money from you, just like how Suzuki makes their money by selling chrome parts. It does nothing but make you poorer and them richer.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i've been working on race cars for quite some time before i bought my bike so with the help of this site and a garage+tools, im quite fine. My main concern is failure of parts (expen$ive parts that is)
If you've been working on race cars for a while then I think you'll be in good shape if anything goes wrong after 12 months.
I opted not to get an extended warrantee either. Honda reliability is one reason why I chose the 600rr in the first place.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
First, I would ask the 07 owners if they have had any problems that were warranty fixed. They have an extra year on their bikes to uncover problems.

Secondly, the 900 dollar warranty needs to be measured against the fair market value of your bike, which is probably about 7000 dollars. You are paying about 13% of the value of the bike over the life of the warranty as insurance against problems that may arise in the future. Is it your primary mode of transportation? Would you need it to get fixed ASAP if it broke? If not, then this is a high premium given Honda's record of excellence in engineering.

Finally, the person fixing your bike at the dealership may not do a very good job -- a risk I just can't stand taking.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
my bike is going on 2 years old, has close to 9000 hard miles on it, and i never needed to use the 12 month warranty.
if i ever grenade my engine, i will buy another low mile one out of a wrecked bike, and rebuild my original one to a real monster.

same thing goes w/ pretty much everything else on the bike, whether i buy OEM or aftermarket.

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Well....I have had my 06 for 2 years......90k and 5 rectifiers later (in the first 40k), and after buying the manufacturer's warranty for 300 on e-bay...I think it's paid for itself a few times over.

If you plan on riding your bike and keeping it for 5 years...get it. If you plan on riding it only for a year or so....don't bother.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
My dealer gave me a 5 Year/ 30,000 mile for about $500.

just bought it for if I wanted to sell it the buyer would be more at ease when buying it. That and uh... 5 years... lol

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Over 60% of the money spent on the warranty goes to the dealer that sells it, and the warranty company still makes money. Extended warranties are for suckers.:bitch_ple
Eaaaaaaaat me sir :bitch_ple

1 - 20 of 31 Posts