Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to upgrading to a 600rr from my F4i, but I was wondering what the differences are between the 2003s and above? I am looking at a 2003 RR, but I was wondering if there was any reason to look for a 2004 or 2005 instead. Any info would be greatful. I was also wondering what a good condition 2003 600RR with 3500 miles should go for? Please let me know, thanks!

WIL

·
Registered
137 Posts
hey Wil, Ive got an '03 as well. I got mine with 5500 miles on it for $5500, dude threw in a rear stand as well. The only major issue with '03 models that I know of is overheating of the rectifier. Honda thought it would be OK to mount it right next to the header pipe with no shielding; they were wrong! It's an easy fix, you can buy the updated rectifier with shield, or just buy the shield and modify it to fit. I made my own bigger and better shield out of heavy guage sheet aluminum, haven't had a single charging system issue since. It sounds like a bigger problem than it actually is, don't let it scare you away from an '03. If the bike youre looking at is clean and priced right, go for it.

My buddy just picked up a 2005 for a little over six grand, with about the same milage as mine. I havent ridden his yet, so I can't tell you how an '03 compares to an '05 or newer. All of the bikes are very good and comparable in performance regardless of what year it is, I think the bulk of the updates (front forks, bodywork, yadda yadda) happened for model year '05. As far as looking at RRs, obviously get the newest and cleanest one you can within your price range. Im sure other board members can give you more advice than me, Ive only had mine since January. good luck with your search!

Kyle B

·
Brown at your service
3,493 Posts
03 and 04 are the same. The 05 and 06 have the inverted forks, more mid-range, radial brakes, and different upper, rear, and mid between the tank and seat fairings. The lower mids and lower fairings are the same.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
/\/\/\/\

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the rectifier? Is that just normal overheating of the engine? ie. that's what you see in that temp guage?

How common is this? And does it happen only when its ridiculously hot outside? How tough is the installation of the updated rectifier?

btw. I am trying to get the 2003 Black 600RR w/ 3500 miles for $5500. I think he has it listed at $5900 right now, but I don't want to spend that much. What do you guys think? Should I offer even lower than that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
part of the charging system, it regulates voltage in the charging system and voltage going to the battery. When it gets too hot, it can send nasty voltage spikes, or no voltage at all to the battery, causing your battery to go dead 50 miles from home in the middle of nowhere in front of a Sunoco gas station in western Virginia necessitating a push start from your friend in front of 10 to 15 amused bystanders.

good luck mang!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
/\/\/\/\/\

That would suck! So how common is this again? I want to know if this would be a problem right away for me or if I can go without this mod for awhile.

How difficult is the install again? And how much for an updated one?

·
Registered
137 Posts
The factory shield is around twenty bucks. I still think it's too small, which is why I made my own. I like to overkill things sometimes. Some people have the rectifier issue with 03s, some don't. I did have the issue, I fixed it (easy fix), bought a new battery, and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
/\/\/\/\

That's good to know then. Will it show in the temp guage? Or is this something you'll find out when you're on the road after a long ride and it dies on you?

·
Registered
90 Posts
lol.. the bike has a temp. gauge on it. and little thing that can play a big factor on the CBR that i like is the fact that they have fuel gauges too; while the other competitors don't!

·
Registered
137 Posts
The bikes got a temp guage, but it only shows coolant temp. So no, you won't know its an issue until its too late. Again, easy fix, but if you get an '03 its something you'll want to take care of before you start taking it out on longer rides. And yes, the fuel guage is very helpful. The 600RR is an awesome bike, regardless of year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts