Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a used bike 3 months ago. Specs are 2003 CBR600RR, 2000 miles, black for $6000.

I have only 2 friends at that time, who had some knowledge about bikes. Before buying I asked their suggestion & they said the bike was in good condition & I shouldn’t worry about it.

From day 1 when I bought it, I had no problem & it run's great. I love this bike.

This morning I met a guy who's supposed a professional rider & he said this bike was used very roughly & was mishandled by first owner.

As far as I see I don’t see or I don’t feel this bike was mishandled.

Now my question is how do I find out if this was mishandled or not.

Thanks for all your replies/posts.

·
Registered
418 Posts
did he explain his reasoning at all???? my bike had a warped rotor when i got it, but that was probably from trying to move with a disc lock on it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he said engin makes noise.but i dont hear any noise. Just to be on safe side i changed oil/oilfilter when i bought it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
He would have had to have thrashed it pretty damn hard or ran it without oil for there to be any real damage with only 2000 miles. Good idea changing the oil/filter though, did you notice an unusually high amount of metal particles in the oil? Also some people say they can here the valves ticking if an incorrect oil viscosity is used, maybe thats what your buddy was hearing.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Maybe he was just messin with you, you could always cut open the oil filter for inspection at the next service and do a compression check if you have any doubts. But if you think it runs good and don't hear any abnormal noises you are probably fine. I would do a checkup on other basic service routines though just to make sure everything is as good as possible (chain tension, clutch & throttle cable freeplay, etc.).

·
Registered
893 Posts
are they the original tires? that's usually a good place to start to tell if it was a abused (someone that runs the **** outta it is prolly gonna burn the tires off as well)... although someone who took good care of it coulda got a nail or something, but if they are original tires i say your probably okay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the guy's an asshat, most folks who make sure you know they're professional this or that are embellishing things a bit.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I agree with all these guys... There's most likely nothing wrong with your bike.

In fact, some things to check... if this supposed noise is at a certain RPM range, let us know. Some if not all of these bikes have a tank vibration problem in the mid RPM range, and that has nothing to do with your motor being bad.

Another thing to check... What kind of oil did you put in the bike when you switched it out? There are some oils that will make things noisier, and certainly affect your shifting as well.

Has this bike been down? Things to check... Engine case covers, any damage? Rims, slight grind mark, easily painted over, but feel along the lip. Turn your handlebars all the way to one side and see where they contact the frame, any mushrooming or damage at those points?

I think that the guy is getting you worried about nothing. You got a great deal on a great bike. Good work!

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only engine noise I can think of is the pinging noise, but thats related to the fuel combustion., at 2000 miles I'm not sure how you can really hurt the engine; even at 5000 unless its purely a race bike, hard to believe its been riden hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my friend has yamaha r6. I dont hear any noise et all.
How ever i took an appointment with a service tech. tomorrow for $75. I'll let you know the results.

H

·
0 Posts
i would say the bike was fine... EVERY engine makes noise... cars, bikes, atvs, boats.. there are slight noises for all.. and these are normal.. loud pings, knocks, and anything that sounds out of place is something to look into..

i would not sweat it.. it is a honda.. you can beat the hell out of it and it will still ride great... keep us posted though on the service appointment...

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
homerjay4242 said:
i would say the bike was fine... EVERY engine makes noise... cars, bikes, atvs, boats.. there are slight noises for all.. and these are normal.. loud pings, knocks, and anything that sounds out of place is something to look into..

i would not sweat it.. it is a honda.. you can beat the hell out of it and it will still ride great... keep us posted though on the service appointment...
right on the money, coundn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i went to a service tech. He did a test drive, checked engin & tires.
There were no signs of dammage, misuse,racing or wheeling.
He gave my bike A+ rating & he said i can sell my bike for $600 more than for what i bought.
Thanks all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The previous owner only rode it for 2,000 miles, so he didn't thrash it long if at all. I'd put in some high-end sythetic oil like Motul or Bel-Ray and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.