Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got cousins down in Carmel with a ranch, and it'd be an awesome ride to visit on the new bike, but they've got like an 1/8 mile dirt driveway. Is that just asking for it? But I just got back from a trip to minnesota and there everyone has a dirt driveway and a harley, no problem. Though I imagine harleys have more practical tires than Qualifiers. Still I dunno how they do that, even if someone told me it's cool I'd still be scared sh*tless. I damn near piss myself rolling over dirt streaks from turnouts...

·
Registered
9 Posts
should be fine if your taking it easy. I live off a 3/4 mile gravel driveway and have never had any issues but then I don't try to rip it up and down the driveway.

D

·
0 Posts
Just go slow, keep both feet ready to go on the ground with them already off the rearsets, and don't use the front brakes, use the rear if you need to slow or stop. I've ridden on many dirt roads and never had a problem so far, except with being stopped and losing my footing, lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Take solace in the fact that with Super Motard they race with street tires on hardpack that has a nice thin layer of dirt on top.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im running dunlop Q's also and I have been off road with my bike. Just keep your speed down and light on the throttle. Also I worry about dirt/sand on paved roads. I might be wrong but I feel I slide more on dirt on a paved road a little more than a dirt road itself. But then again im the crazy guy that would take my old F2 into the dirt trails on street tires.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure dirt on pavement is slippery...er.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was up north with a buddy riding the backroads when this one road turned out to be under construction. It went from mint pavement to being purely dirt and gravel for about 5 miles. We didn't want to turn around so we just rode it very slow (even the cars had to go slow, there were dump trucks and workers everywhere). The road went up, down, around tight corners. We were so pissed because once it was re-paved it was going to be an amazing riding road, we had just hit it a few weeks to early...

A dirt driveway should give you no problems at all, just go slow as everyone else has pointed out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One other thing.....try to keep your weight back on the rear tire. The front is narrower than the rear and will dig in deeper with the same amount of weight causing the rear to try and pass the front.....not a good idea. I ran into some serious dirt issues when in Yellowstone a few years back and it was dark and on the side of the mountain....anyway, toughest 15 miles I've ever ridden, so just take it slow and slide back on the seat as much as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
watch out for vicious dogs...when i first bought my bike in 05 i went by a friends work to let him check it out and had to go down a dirt road to get there. was puttin down the road and a dog came running up and tried to bite me. i didnt want to gun it and go down so i pulled in the clutch and gave it some throttle and the Arata scared him away. never went down that road again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts