Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend my bike was in a very close call. Somebody went up to it and clearly was trying to move it onto a truck of some sort... but thank god I parked it in a rather busy location that somebody caught eye and said something. The guy quickly ran... My question to everybody is how does Disc Locks actually work... for example I'm looking at products such as On Guard, Kryptonite, etc.. I just feel that cables aren't enough and a disc lock looks like it be a better route of going. Some may suggest security alarms such as Viper and Scorpio but I rather not pump out $250.... Some feedback especially from those who own disc locks would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryde

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
disc locks wont do much man.. they could still lift it, throw it in a truck, and part it out. u dont expect them to ride ur bike around do you? oh yeah eff disc locks, i had one on my bike before, forgot i had it on, went like 3 feet.. BAM hit the ground eff'ed the side fairings up.

best way to go would be to chain it up to something

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
unless you are chaining it to something, a disc lock isnt going to do much. basically disc locks are there to dissuade the rookie thieves. but honestly, if theyve done it before, and they really want it... theyll get it. nothing really is going to stop someone from taking your bike if they really want it. you know what works best? a garage. but if you dont have one, you just have to take your chances and let insurance comp you if its vandalized (stolen).

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I use a kryptonite chain and lock and chain it to a pole if I have to park the bike some other place than the garage.

·
Registered
972 Posts
05Ryde said:
Last weekend my bike was in a very close call. Somebody went up to it and clearly was trying to move it onto a truck of some sort... but thank god I parked it in a rather busy location that somebody caught eye and said something. The guy quickly ran... My question to everybody is how does Disc Locks actually work... for example I'm looking at products such as On Guard, Kryptonite, etc.. I just feel that cables aren't enough and a disc lock looks like it be a better route of going. Some may suggest security alarms such as Viper and Scorpio but I rather not pump out $250.... Some feedback especially from those who own disc locks would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryde

please tell me you did not just say " i just feel that cables aren't enough and a disc lock looks like it be a better route of going!"

cus if u really did say that, then u think a little metal stapler on ur rotors is better than having a metal chain/braided cable looped through ur bike and anchored to a SOLID fixture.

if this is your mentality then i hope u have full coverage on ur bike because even two Backstreet Boys can lift ur bike up and make you cry which will cause u to post up a stolen bike thread and make us suffer...

so save the drama fo yo mama and get a thick ass reliable cable/chain

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:
disc locks wont do much man.. they could still lift it, throw it in a truck, and part it out. u dont expect them to ride ur bike around do you? oh yeah eff disc locks, i had one on my bike before, forgot i had it on, went like 3 feet.. BAM hit the ground eff'ed the side fairings up.

exactly, i had a chain and disc lock on mine and someone still tried to steal it. they were about to cut my chain and were just gonna lift the bike into the bed of a truck and worry bout it later.

if u really wanna protect it, get an alarm, but even thats not a guarantee, best bet would be to put in a garage somewheres. rent a storage unit even mayube

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I said cables are "just not enough" i meant adding some additional security and I proposed disc locks... Im thinking about going with an alarm as well...Also for those who lock their bikes with thick chains... how do you go about carrying it with you if you were to ride somewhere? Backpack?

-Ryde

em2b96p said:
please tell me you did not just say " i just feel that cables aren't enough and a disc lock looks like it be a better route of going!"

cus if u really did say that, then u think a little metal stapler on ur rotors is better than having a metal chain/braided cable looped through ur bike and anchored to a SOLID fixture.

if this is your mentality then i hope u have full coverage on ur bike because even two Backstreet Boys can lift ur bike up and make you cry which will cause u to post up a stolen bike thread and make us suffer...

so save the drama fo yo mama and get a thick ass reliable cable/chain

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also own a disc lock and completely agree that they don't do much for security. If a thief wants YOUR bike bad enough, s/he is gonna get it no matter what you do (disc locks, cables, alarms, garages, a HUGE Rotty named "Tank."). Before the 600RR, my old bike sat in front of my apartment for a year with no troubles. I could have left that thing anywhere with the keys in it and no would have stolen it. A disc lock is also a good way to bust a front fender if you aren't careful. There is plenty of stuff out there to remind you to take it off tho. You may love your bike and feel like it is irreplacable, but insur the hell out of it. Gap Insurance included! After mods you may want to go speak to your Ins. Rep and see what you can do about getting insured to cover all of the upgrades as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chain...

Hey man,

I know your concern. If there is no place like a garage in town (assume you park it in the garage at home), a chain is the best bet.

Nowadays, if the alarm on your bike is screaming while two 200-pound brothers lift your bike onto their truck, I doubt any passer-by will question them, and unless there is a cop, you’ve got to look for another bike.

[font=&quot]I bought an ABUS chain (http://lockitt.com/chain2.htm#Chain58_140HB100), which is a fairly good option for the city use. You ought to be prepared though to carry 15 lbs in your backpack all day if you are going to several locations. (I leave it at work when commute straight home-work.) It is a real pain in the back (shoulders and neck) after a day-long ride. But it is a piece of mind for me when I leave my bike in the city. Eventhough I have a full coverage, the insurance will not compensate all the time, effort, money and love I’ve put in my bike.[/font]

[font=&quot]Figure for yourself. Any chain (I would not spend money on a disk lock, as has already been mentioned above) is not an ultimate solution, just a HEAVY addition to the full-coverage and constant awareness.[/font]

[font=&quot] [/font]

[font=&quot]Take it easy, pal…[/font]

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I look at it this way, we pay thousands to buy the bike and then thousands to mod her out. another couple hundred to make myself feel safe is no big deal. I have a disc lock and scorpio security system, which in your case with the disc locks he wouldn't have been able to get it fair at all, but the alarm would have been loud as hell before the disc locks would have even came into effet.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
KhMeRGuY978 said:

if you get a disc lock, get one that comes with a brightly colored cable that goes from the lock to the handgrip, so you rememeber its there before you try riding her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my R6 stolen 6 days after I bought it last year. Once the insurance company settled up I bought my 600RR. The first mod I bought for that is a Scorpio Alarm. 10 Minute installation has a 1/2 mile paging radius and lets you know what alarm has been tripped. Plus I also use a disc lock. If they can take off with it before I can get to them good on them but I don't see it happening. Not too mention that thing is damn loud. The sensors on it are perimeter, shock, tilt. Can't ask for too much more than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts