Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Figured I would put it up here. There have been a few questions concerning this mod. Just make sure to get the key from ebay NOT from the dealer. Other users have had issues with dealer keys. Not to mention they will be more expensive.

"Works on all 600rr years, 03-10"

Not much do to here. Bought a 1000rr key blank on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09-Honda-CBR1000RR-Key-Blank-CBR-1000-RR-1000RR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem23046ac4d5QQitemZ15039 7961429QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Took the blank and my 600rr key to a locksmith and had him work his magic. Cost ~$13 in the end for the key blank and the locksmith service. It adds 5hp and the girlies love it.

I wanted a key that wasn't the plain old key that Honda uses for everything.

Pictures:

08-09 1000rr blank

My original key and the copy using the 08-09 1000rr blank (picture edited for security reasons)

Doesn't it look pretty.

Picture of it in action.

·
Registered
541 Posts
FWIW That 1000rr key looks more or less identical to the euro 07> 600rr keys. Do you know if they have the chip in them?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1000rr keys eBay ones don't, but the ones from the factory do. Those have to be matched to the bike.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...and I thought I paid too much when I got 5 spares made for $10.
That's quite a good price for 5 spares. Sounds like you got a deal. This however wasn't intended as a spare but as the main key. I am willing to spend a little bit more for something I think adds to fit and finish of the bike. Thanks for the support.

D

·
0 Posts
Well, they're all "main" keys. I'm down to 3. :(
Bike being upside down usually leads to a bent or broken key.

D

·
0 Posts
Where did you go to get them for that cheap?
Local locksmith and bought the only type he had that fit. They're big, they're metal, and they're silver...but I made them unique, and I bet I'm the only one here with Honduh keys.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts