Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so a friend of mine, long ago, had his CBR stolen. The bike was recovered a short time later, but he vowed never to have it happen again. He was fairly electronic savvy, so he went to Radio Shack (I think) and bought about 7 "micro switches".

He spliced into the ignition wiring and routed it throught these kill switches which he had hidden all over the bike (under the tail, fairings etc) Only he knew where they were, and what order to turn them on.

He also shaved the ignition from his triple tree and stuffed it into the rear, underseat area.

I'd like to do the kill switch bit like he did, but I am unsure which switches to buy....and would also like an electrical schematic if at all possible.....

Can anyone help or offer up suggestions?

Thanks,
SKI

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i would suggest for you to talk to your friend
unless you lost contact with him

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well I say one kill switch is never a bad idea - But tell him not to forget, MANY bike thefts happen when thieves pick up the bike or push it over into a van or truck.

Tell him to get LoJack if he's really worried.

·
Registered
536 Posts
well my friend just had his kawi hot wired, jy ridden down to the metal on the tires and diched in a lake. So it does happen! I use a scorpio alarm with ignition module, it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
skiandclimb said:
Can anyone help or offer up suggestions?

Thanks,
SKI
how is all that going to prevent someone from lifting it into the back of a van and parting it out on ebay?
I'm with BH600. lojack is good fro any location. at home, might consider the www.bikebrace.com (I feel like their spokesman sometimes). That kept theives from getting away with my bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike brace thing looks pretty cool. And as for the "putting it in a truck" there's really not much you can do about that. That's how my old F2 got jacked....broad daylight too. [email protected].

I was thinking about the kill switches b/c my ride is parked in a detached garage. However, that brace idea seems pretty cool. Not $250 cool, but still pretty cool. I think I could get a similar result by installing a heavy duty eye bolt into the garage floor, maybe...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. If I go the route of the kill switches, I'll post up some pics for a how to. And to answer the question- I have lost touch with my friend who did this. I was wondering about amperage and whatnot. Don't want to fry the electrical system.

-SKI

·
Registered
736 Posts
go to your local chevy or gmc dealer and ask them for the key cutout system available on their trucks. the sensor requires your key ring to pass by it before the ignition can be turned on. less than 75$ and easy to install. i added with my remote start. thats the ticket. people will look for switches but will never find the sensor under my right fairing!

·
Registered
304 Posts
skiandclimb said:
The bike brace thing looks pretty cool. And as for the "putting it in a truck" there's really not much you can do about that. That's how my old F2 got jacked....broad daylight too. [email protected]

I was thinking about the kill switches b/c my ride is parked in a detached garage. However, that brace idea seems pretty cool. Not $250 cool, but still pretty cool. I think I could get a similar result by installing a heavy duty eye bolt into the garage floor, maybe...

Anyway, thanks for the responses. If I go the route of the kill switches, I'll post up some pics for a how to. And to answer the question- I have lost touch with my friend who did this. I was wondering about amperage and whatnot. Don't want to fry the electrical system.

-SKI
$250..........cost of bike brace.

$20............ shipping for bike brace.

Theives breaking into your garage and only leaving with
photos of your old girlfriends.......... priceless.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
yeah, when you come out and they've only taken your cover (which was cable locked to an eyebolt in the concrete, in addition to the front wheel) and smashed your ignition to break the ignition steering lock...but you still have the bike you think the $250 is pretty cheap. I only have the brace without the axle protectors so it was only $180 shipped I think, back a few years. I figured if they came with tools to remove the wheel and chain then they were getting the bike no matter what....

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
as far as the kill switches...all you need are regular toggle switches...theres nothing fancy . get the smaller metal ones cause you can hide them easier... keep in mind that if you ever have a problem your gonna have a hell of a time trouble shooting the problem with multiple switches.

1 Kill switch is really all you need, just scope out your bike and find a perfect spot for it.

But I agree with the others...Full Coverage is the only way to go. I love my RR but if it gets stolen, It's not gonna hurt my feelings to get another brand new bike!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Instead of switchses and the hassle, just get an alarm with an external disable output.

This alarm has an output. www.talonalarms.com

Have the alarm set to passive arming. Get to destination, remove key from ignition....30 seconds later the alarm will automatically go 'chirp' as it will arm automatically. You could disable both the ignition, fuel pump, and starter. A triple whammy! Even if you left the key in the ignition, you cannot start the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts