Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 10/16
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the CBR500 forum, I had no idea people had a hard time changing this.

Here's how to remove an OEM bar end PROPERLY.

Tools Required:
Strap Wrench (shown in the photo)
Philips (star) screw driver

Wrap the wrench around the bar end, it won't scratch or damage your bar end, so don't worry about that.
Unscrew it and you'll notice the strap will grip onto the bar end preventing it from moving.

Simple as that folks! And the bar end is reusable, nothing will get damaged.

As for the grips, just put an air compressor in there and it will come right off, no need to cut them.

If you're installing new grips, use hair spray, which will allow it to slide on quickly and make it stick within minutes, it is a win win.

I hope this helps!

Photo of the strap wrench shown here, which you can purchase at any automotive tool store.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Hand strength has been good enough for me to stop the bar end from rotating.

The REAL fun starts when the screw is old and has seized to the bar weight inside, and turning the screw just turns the bar weight (solution: pliers or vice grip to lock the edge of the bar weight to the bar)

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,759 Posts
Fightingchance,

the bar weight has a semi circle protrusion that matches with an opposing protrusion on the bar end.

the weight can't spin.

unless you had different bar ends maybe

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
This old VFR I'm rehabbing had a left side bar end screw that relented about 1cm before seizing; was able to slide the bar end out a little then had to clamp the bar weight inside to continuing unscrewing

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've found that brake cleaner is the best option for installing new grips. Lubricates nicely and dries on its own within 15-20 minutes. Maybe it was just me using too much hairspray but I had to pull my grips back off because they would never dry. I imagine rubbing alcohol would also suffice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts