Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode with a group the other day and one of the riders had a 1000RR that had every mod possible including the HRC line resevoir kit which I thought looks amazing! I decided to do it myself as it something you can do yourself for cheap! Using the stock line saves $ and doesn't allow you to see inside but when you fill it up the last time you can always use a turkey baster or large plastic syringe to top it off! Or just pour it... just make sure you have a lot of water around to rinse everything off!

The Final Product...

The Steps

I've already pulled off the exhaust sheilding and cover which makes this easier.

-Remove the right rearset

-To be safe, I drained the system as I was worried about my paints life! Keep lots of h2o around just in case!

-Cut the line, I left about 3 inches, or right before the tube bend

-Put the resevoir back on the shortened line

-Now bleed it til' that fluid is ccclllleeeeaaannn! then close everything up in the back

-After making sure the line is topped off (but the resevoir is empty) pull the resevoir off and replace it with a M9 screw into the line, it should be a super tight squeeze! I used the smaller one without the head.

-Slide the stock hose clamp back onto the bolt, zip tie it to the rear line and you're done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
a little confus
so is this a resevoir delete mod or you just hide it under the pipe?
after the "put the resevoir back to the shortened line"
I'm totally lost.....

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry man! I tried to clear up the instructions! And I guess you would call this a "delete" as your only leaving a few inches of hose.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i guess Honda over engineered the brake system by including a reservoir and ya think its not needed....why not "DELETE" the front reservoir in the same manner? not a good idea to remove either in my book....they were put on for a reason.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
i guess Honda over engineered the brake system by including a reservoir and ya think its not needed....why not "DELETE" the front reservoir in the same manner? not a good idea to remove either in my book....they were put on for a reason.
consider most street riders dont use the rear much or at all.

the reservoir is mainly to give it more fluids so they dont overheat and boil. since we dont use or ride the rears long enough. it ok to shorten them. since HRC does sell a similar kit.

there are rules and regulations to building a bike and selling them. we dont really need a catalyst converter as well but there is one not because honda wanted it. honda prefers to sell bikes with high hp/tq numbers and these just dont help make numbers
we dont need all those restrictions in the intake tube or the exhaust flapper but we do because of noise and not because honda wanted it

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
consider most street riders dont use the rear much or at all.

the reservoir is mainly to give it more fluids so they dont overheat and boil. since we dont use or ride the rears long enough. it ok to shorten them. since HRC does sell a similar kit.

there are rules and regulations to building a bike and selling them. we dont really need a catalyst converter as well but there is one not because honda wanted it. honda prefers to sell bikes with high hp/tq numbers and these just dont help make numbers
we dont need all those restrictions in the intake tube or the exhaust flapper but we do because of noise and not because honda wanted it
i know your post is quite old, but there's more to the reservoir than just extra fluid to help prevent boil over...

its also there to help distribute water, as hydraulic fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic, so much so it pulls water through the brake lines, and the extra fluid assists in distributing the water around so the fluid remains usable

the reservoir is also there to allow the pistons in the calipers to expand with out running the reservoir dry....

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
i know your post is quite old, but there's more to the reservoir than just extra fluid to help prevent boil over...

its also there to help distribute water, as hydraulic fluid is EXTREMELY hygroscopic, so much so it pulls water through the brake lines, and the extra fluid assists in distributing the water around so the fluid remains usable

the reservoir is also there to allow the pistons in the calipers to expand with out running the reservoir dry....
brake fluid does absorb water i know but i dont think most of us need that much rear braking power anyways. i would mind having it a little sloppy because right now i can lock up the rear :banghead:.

run dry? sure more fluid = no top off. we are suppose to be checking our bikes over such has brake fluids before every ride but no one does. if you do than when you check your fluid lvl, u can just top of the shorten line :shakehand. i dont think he one ride your gonna wear your rear brakes so low that you run dry :cruising:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought some clear Tygon 2075 tube to do this mod. I rarely use the rear brakes, so I think I should be ok.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I hardly use my rear brake so I don't really need that much fluid since it isn't heating up and cooling down frequently, but I ride mostly track.

To guys doing this the HRC vent cap is a very important piece, it is a VENT CAP. I originally had the vent cap with a hose clamp that was too tight. This sealed up the system so there was no way to relieve pressure when I did used the rear brake at red lights. Eventually something had to give and fluid leaked out where the tube meets the master cylinder, while under pressure from the rear brake being used. When I got home I hosed off my swing arm and wheel, tightened the hose clamp at the master cyclinder, and removed the hose clamp at the vent cap. Now I have a spring clamp to secure the vent cap, so it can VENT or relieve pressure. Just make sure the screw/clamp is not too tight or you might get a leak.

Sorry for the short story...P.S. I got every thing from motomummy, but gotta order something else as they won't ship it alone. I think it ended up being $8 for 1' of tygon 2375 and HRC vent cap, so I have extra tubing if I ever need it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
and yes i agree if HRC sells the kit than obviously its fine. And if you dont use ur rear brake much, then it doesnt matter. If you do though. then dont

A

·
0 Posts
I know it's been a while.

But could someone post larger pictures of it ;

I want to change the rear one of mine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know it's been a while.

But could someone post larger pictures of it ;

I want to change the rear one of mine.
Hey man its not difficult. You need some Tygron Tubing, house clamp, and a plug. I'll snap some of mine, I used the HRC kit, but its all the same. Just make sure when you get Tygron tubing you get the legit hard chemical resistant tubing otherwise the tubing will sweat.

Anyone whose worried about this causing damage to the break caliper or anything else is retarded. HRC wouldn't have made something like this without extensive testing to ensure safety, this would be too big of a liability. Also, with this make sure you have more AIR than FLUID in the tube to a low fluid to move freely and "over flow" and back pressure when you release the lever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts