Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to attempt a small write-up to inform all of you how to set up dual headlights, being able to switch them off, and using LED's as running lights with the headlights off. This can probably be done with regular headlights as well, but you will need to cut off the stock connector and run the wires accordingly. I won't get into the install of the HID's or LED's as there are many already on here. This is specifically how to be able to switch the headlights on and off using your H/L switch, and turning on and off LED's using the same switch. Here were go...

Materials needed:

5-pin Relay ( I sourced mine from a local car audio shop for $5)
18 ga wire (I found a 3-pk of wire, r,blk,grn for around $7 @ Radio Shack
18 ga 1/4" Male/Female clips (Radio Shack, $3 or so)
18 ga Quick Splice Connectors
Voltmeter
Electrical Tape
Zip Ties

First step is to remove the + terminal from the battery. This will ensure and wires accidently touching won't spark or fry your bikes wiring.

Here is how the 5-pin relay will be setup.

Next, we need to find and splice into the trigger wire to activate the relay. It can be found on either side of the bike, near the big grey harness next to the gas tank. This is for an 08, but I'm sure the 07 is the same. Mine was a solid blue wire with silver dots on it. I would advise to use a Voltmeter and test this for yourself by piercing the blue wire, turning the bike on and switching the high beams on and off and confirm the voltage change.

After you have found the wire, use a quick splice connector, and run enough wire to make it underneath the seat to the battery. This will connect to Pin-86.

Next we need a wire to connect to the + and - of the HID's. Using a female connector, attach the wire to the male end provided with the HID's. Run both of these to the seat area. The + will be Pin-87, and the - will be Pin-85.

I quick spliced into the ground of the HID's for the LED's, and ran the postive wire of the LED's to the seat area. This will be Pin-87a.

A ground from the battery will be added to the HID ground and connected into Pin-85. This may be unnecessary, but it will assure a good ground.

Lastly, using your voltmeter, test the wires in the fuse box underneath the seat and chose a wire that has power with the Key on, and no power with the key off. Quick splice into this wire. This will be Pin-30.

After everything is wired up, use the zip ties to secure your new wiring to the existing stock wiring. This is made easier with the has tank and side fairings removed, but can probably be done with them still on. The electrical tape comes in very handy near the headlights because it will hide the new wires and make them appear factory. The relay will sit underneath the seat on the right side, there is a small void just big enough for the relay.

I apologize for the lack of pictures, I did this install while also installing fairings, and didn't take the time to take detailed pictures.

After everything is secured and taped, re-attach your + terminal to your battery and fasten the seat down. Test out your new setup!

Credit goes out to Tripage, MAJOR thanks to High Voltage RR, and iSteveO's thread here http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143368

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
these are spdt relays that you're using right? if anyone needs some relays i have 2 brand new bosch relays with male and female connectors for sale. i bought it for the same project but ended up not using them. these are perfect because u won't need to buy connectors, and tape the crap out of ur relays. wire one end into the male and the other into the female and they just mate together for a professional look

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are. And every relay I've seen looks the same. Has pins out of the bottom to accept a female connector or has a few wires already coming off of it that you have to attach another wire to. 6 in one half dozen in the other.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can run an extension and plug the power/ground into the high beam from the low beam. I'm not sure if there are any power issues related, but it's a fix if there aren't any. I'm sure it can be done with the use of a 4-pin relay with the high beam triggered (same as the instructions posted above) as well, but I'm not sure how savy you are with doing that sort of work.

·
BOTM Winner 09/13
307 Posts
Thanks to the OP! This is exactly what I was looking for! :thumbup:

My install took longer than expected though.. I over thought my process.. :gun1:

Question though.. are we supposed to only use 1 relay? Are there different watts/amps for each relay? I only hooked up one.. works fine.. but curious & worried..

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Has anyone done this on the older CBR's specifically an 03? Im looking to to this and the LED's this weekend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts