Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I bought my bike more than a year and a half ago and figured it was finally time to relocate my license plate to a more legal place. The previous owner did his own FE type deal, so he put on rear signals and relocated the license plate.

This is where to:

As you can see, probably not too legal and can definitely get you some attention if a cop wants to be an ass. I didn't want to buy a FE kit because I have a pretty decent setup (minus the crappy turn signals :evil3:), so I took a trip to the Home Depot.

SUPPLIES

Hose clamp: $1.85
Hose "strap" (pack of 6): $1.32
-------------------------------------
Total: $3.17
(less tax of course)

You'll also need a hammer (the bigger the better IMO) and a pair of pliers or something to squeeze the little brackets together with.

All your supplies:

Start off by wrapping one of the straps around your finger like so:

It takes a little muscle, but you don't have to bend it far. Get it to about this place:

Next, take the clamp or pliers and squeeze it until the two ends are flush:

Then, take the bent "bracket" and crush the top of the circle part into a flat edge, so that there's an edge to go flat against a muffler:

Your two ends may have come apart toward the top, so you may have to squeeze them back together:

Next post will detail attaching it to your bike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's your result from the last post:

Okay, so now we'll go over attaching the setup to your bike.

My Home Depot didn't have a hose clamp big enough so I put together a 5"-7" diameter clamp with a 1"-3" diameter clamp.

The result:

Now, you're going to want to thread the clamp between the muffler and the heat shield (I think that's what it is). There's a bolt or 2 holding the shield to the muffler, so thread it behind these bolts so that there's no way this setup can fly off.

Like so:

Thread the brackets on then join the two edges of the hose clamps together:

Tighten up the hose clamp until it's tense enough to hold the brackets in place. Once there's enough tension to keep them in place, space them about this far apart. Don't tighten the hose clamp anymore or else there will be no free play when you go to attach the plate to it:

I'm using zip ties in this quick write up because I don't have any bolts right now, but they will be replaced with nuts and bolts before I ride with it. The steps are still the same.

Attach the one side loosely to the one bracket:

Attach the other side loosely:

Adjust the brackets to they line up with the holes on the plate, then tighten the hose clamp, then tighten the nuts and bolts or other fasteners:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished product:

*NOTE* - when I get the bolts to attach the license plate permanently, I'm going to get some thread locker to sure the plate won't fall off. I suggest you do the same if you follow this guide.

Hope this helps! :wave:

·
Registered
365 Posts
ha. 3 bucks! thats tight. i just got a fix it ticket for no plates. ima go with your setup just for the inspection, then they're off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
not sure what year your bike is, but i only needed a 5" hose clamp to do this. i do have mine mounted slightly further back though.

i have an 06

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, Now GO CLEAN THAT F"N SHED, its a mess!!!!
That **** bit me in the ass when I did my fork seal yesterday.. I think the clutter added a few hours onto the job :tard:

not sure what year your bike is, but i only needed a 5" hose clamp to do this. i do have mine mounted slightly further back though.

i have an 06
It's an 04, but it has the hideous stock exhaust on it, so it needs the extra length to fit around that behemoth. If you have an aftermarket it would probably be okay with just the 5"

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's an 04, but it has the hideous stock exhaust on it, so it needs the extra length to fit around that behemoth. If you have an aftermarket it would probably be okay with just the 5"
i'm working with a stock exhaust. i have mine just slightly in front of the weld that you have yours behind. it is a lot tighter than your loose pics show though. just slightly enough room to get the piece for the license plate bolt on.

i found some scrap metal in our junk room at work, i may try to get one of the engineers to cut me out a better holder, but this works for now. will probably change it around when i get an aftermarket exhaust to make sure it doesn't get scratched up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will probably change it around when i get an aftermarket exhaust to make sure it doesn't get scratched up.
Yeah I was thinking about that.. you could probably put a little bit heat wrap between the two to protect from scratches.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
268 Posts
Brilliant!!!

Better than spending ridiculous amounts of money from... well... "other places"

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You should get some led bolt lights from tripage, they're only like ten bucks and are bright as hell! I did something similar with some scrap aluminum, check my build thread to see it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
pretty sweet lookin mount. I've been trying to figure out how to do something just like this. Currently I have my plate bolted to a speaker stand that's bolted to a random hole in the tail of my bike. it's... :'(

have you tested this out? does your plate flap aorund in the wind when you get up to speed?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your tag will most likely hit the rear tire placed there.
I thought that at first, but the rear shock only has 4.7 inches of total travel, and with weight on the shock, it measures a little more than that (EDIT: From bottom of plate to rear tire). So I think it's going to be okay.

·
Registered
340 Posts
throw some LED around it. wrap the hose clam with loom or something like that. cool for on $3

1 - 20 of 52 Posts