Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So anyone who has or is considering powder coating their wheels wonders how the end result will look. It's hard to know without dropping a lot of money to just get it done. It's also only really viable to do when you are changing your tires as well.
With plasti-dip you can get a good result for a lot cheaper and you do not need to wait until you need new tires either. The total cost for this was a grand total of $24 bucks.

Materials
-Plasti-dip in spray can form (color of your choice) at least 3 cans
-index cards
-tools to removed wheels and hardware
-shop towels
-old newpaper or magazines
-wheel degreaser/rubbing alcohol
-about 1.5 days without your bike being operational

Step One - Removal of Wheels

I wont go into much detail here since there are plenty of other guides out there for removing your wheels. I will recommend that you hold your brakes up by something instead of letting them dangle. I used the rear passenger peg for the rear brake and some speaker wire for the front brakes.

Step Two - Remove all wheel hardware

I chose to leave on the stem caps and the wheel weights (only had one on front) but that is completely up to you. Everything else needs to go!

Step Three - Wash those wheels!

You want to remove all of the grease from your wheels and make them look like new. I chose to use my bathtub for easy cleanup and a better environment. I first sprayed the wheel degreaser on the wheels and let it sit for a few minutes before washing thoroughly with water. I then reapplied more degreaser and used a sponge to really remove everything possible. Do this for the entirety of each wheel. If you have any really stubborn spots with chain lube, use rubbing alcohol. Please make sure you ventilate the area properly.

Step Four - Wheel prep

Now you want to really set yourself up for success. Once you start spraying the plasti-dip you really wont have much opportunity to change anything. I used electrical tape to cover the threads for the calipers and just cut a circle out of a index card or magazine page to cover the center area. Then I placed index cards in a circle between the tire and wheel. You want to block out any vision of the tire's surface but if any does happen to get through it is no big deal. It will come off of the tire easily without coming off of the wheel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step Five - Applying the Plasti-dip

I have never used this product before or ever even spray painted anything before. This stuff is pretty simple to use but I will be the first to admit I was really nervous on the first layer. You will want to do at least 4 layers of this stuff to get an even coat. Wait 20-30 minutes between each coat depending on the ambient temperature. It was about 60 degrees here so I waited 25 for each layer. I did both wheels at a time to speed up the process. Add more layers if you want. The more layers you add the easier the plasti-dip is to remove later. You basically want to have the can about 6 inches away from the surface and go back and forth as you spray. The first coat does not need to be even or perfect. You want it to have a good bit of transparency still. This will be the coat that adheres to the surface. Make sure you get all angles and try to spray perpendicular to the surface at all times, never spraying in one spot without moving.

FIRST COAT

THIRD COAT

As you can see I have some very obvious defects by the third coat. I've never used this before so gotta cut me some slack. Two of my cans looked like they were newer and one of my cans of plast-dip looked older. DO NOT BUY THE OLDER LOOKING KIND. The spray nozzles are GARBAGE. This is the reason for my visible defects. They splurt out chunks everywhere sometimes. The way to circumvent this is to add more and more layers. I added 5 to this wheel in the end and it concealed most of the problems. I also decided, after this, to use the old can only for the base coats of each tire and then once one of my newer cans emptied out i took the nozzle and put it on the older can. Good as new.

FIFTH COAT

ON THE LAST COAT make sure you remove all of your preparations. Take out the electrical tape, center cover, and index cards immediately after you finish spraying! You do not want to let the plasti-dip dry before you do this otherwise you risk peeling it off of the wheel. If you do accidentally wait for it to dry, use a razor blade to cut the coverings off and pray you dont remove anything crucial. Wait AT LEAST 12 hours for the final coat to dry. You will want it to be as solid as possible before putting everything back together.

Step Six - Assemble everything back where it goes

Wont go into too much detail here. Try really hard to NOT get grease on the newly colored surface. Its just a pain to remove. It will come off, it just sucks to see happen after this work. I ended up getting a lot on my back tires but I washed it so gently and nothing came off....so I started scrubbing like hell with a sponge and soap and that did the trick. This stuff is a lot more resilient than I was expecting. I got paint on some of the tire but it literally just falls off if you brush it since it wasn't layered there on purpose.

End Result

I'm quite happy with the end result for $24.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Not bad good job... Should through some clear coat on. I did my car Rims back last Nov. still holding up minus a few flakes. But for $30 couldn't beat it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks good. Want to do my bike? Haha

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I'm not planning on plasti-dipping my wheels, but the info is useful for other stuff, especially your prep details. Bike looks great, by the way!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you would, keep this updated with periodic pictures over time to see how well it holds up. I want to do this, but will wait and see how well it holds up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Damn that looks sick, guess I have a new little project to try out. Seriously can't beat that price.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did 5 coats on that one side of the front only because one of my layers was thinner and also that is when I realized I needed the coat to be wet to remove the electrical tape and center cover. After 5 coats on that one and 4 on all of the others I still have about 1/4th of the last can left.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just did my fairings a couple weeks ago, they turned out great!

Did matte black, but thinking of redoing them in white to change it up.

Great write up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One side until done, then flip. You want to minimize movement during this process as much as possible. Also, be careful of windy conditions. They can lift the plasti-dip as it is drying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The material is very rubbery so I do not believe chipping will occur. I do expect it to get dirty and maybe lift in areas. Luckily you can re-liquify it and re-apply. I'll probably just rip it all off if it happens and go for a powder-coat or try the blue plasti-dip instead.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts