Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I did my car wheels about a year back.
The plasti dip does hold up surprisingly well and rock chips really wer'nt that bad. This stuff does just peel off (see vids on youtube)
If and when weights would have to be added the guy could either just scrap off a little bit but for the ADD guys this will bug you.

Then hit it with a couple coats of green

·
Registered
199 Posts
same thing with bike wheels?

when you get tired of it or want to sell it peel it off. you wouldn't have to take the rotors off to get it off.

when i "peeled" mine off i just used a pressure washer. Came off like a layer of dirt.

·
I LOVE MY BIKE
692 Posts
awesome!! i think i might need to do this.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
same thing with bike wheels?

when you get tired of it or want to sell it peel it off. you wouldn't have to take the rotors off to get it off.

when i "peeled" mine off i just used a pressure washer. Came off like a layer of dirt.
Well, yeah... but since tires need to be changed often, I'm not sure if it'll survive one tire change.

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
It won't, I got a flat on my car and drove a whole two feet and it peeled right off the lip of the rim. If you change tires often just get the PCed

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, yeah... but since tires need to be changed often, I'm not sure if it'll survive one tire change.
you'll definitely get some peel but it is easily touched up.
I wouldn't recommend this for the track guys.

I would say if your changing tires more than once every season or so I wouldn't do it unless you were bored.

You have to remember that all this really is will be cleaning, taking your wheels on and off and will run you about $30.

If you don't like it or don't like the rock chips or what happen after a tire change it will be all of 10 minutes to peel off and 5 mins with a pressure washer and you wouldn't even need to take your wheels off that route.
Possibly even a strong hose could take it off once you get a little area started.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great job on the write-up and I can also attest to how well it holds up and the ease at which it is removed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
How does it hold up against getting dirty? Are they a bitch to clean off? I have only plastidipped my 2012 1000rr windscreen and my pony badge on the front of my mustang gt. Both have held up great! I wanted to do my 1000rr wheels white but figured they wouldn't hold up well against dirt.

·
Registered
453 Posts
how is cleaning these? does the plastidip just peel off easily when you are cleaning the wheels? or must you be gental? also for anyone in here who plastidipped there fairings. do you have to take of the fairing "decals" before plastidiping them? or if you do enough coats, will it look even and not like there are decal outlines under the plasti>?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
how is cleaning these? does the plastidip just peel off easily when you are cleaning the wheels? or must you be gental? also for anyone in here who plastidipped there fairings. do you have to take of the fairing "decals" before plastidiping them? or if you do enough coats, will it look even and not like there are decal outlines under the plasti>?

Can't comment on the fairings, but I dipped my swingarm with the decals still on. 5 or 6 coats and you can still see the outline of the "pro-link" stickers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
as far as cleaning, the plastidip is pretty sturdy.
hose and soap would be fine. unless there is a cut in the plastidip to get water in you'll be fine.

If you check out the vids on youtube, while this stuff does just peel off it takes a little effort. its not just like peeling a stamp off a roll.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here is my wheels plastidipped, not the best photos.

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
Dipped my 300 wheels blaze yellow. It looked great and the rear lasted about half a season. Got stains from the chain lube and was a pita to clean due to the textured finish.

What do you guys use to clean your wheels with the plastidip?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
41 - 60 of 78 Posts