Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Unfortunately plasti-dip is not easy to wash since its so porous. I did my rims white on my car last winter and ended up peeling it up a couple months later.

All I'm trying to say is you gotta keep on TOP of cleaning them if you plan on keeping them that way

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
man if your gonna go through all the trouble to do this why not use some good wheel paint? Or get them powdercoated? Plasti-dip seems like the convenient way to paint something without all the dismantling hassle

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
This is super easy. I've changed my wheels color twice now

·
Registered
11 Posts
based on the research that i have done, plasti dip seems to have a bit of a rep for being hard to clean because of it's porous nature. does anybody have any advice on methods you can take to help prevent this? maybe clear coat or a wax? i want to do my wheels white but really don't want to have to wipe them down after every ride to prevent staining.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
based on the research that i have done, plasti dip seems to have a bit of a rep for being hard to clean because of it's porous nature. does anybody have any advice on methods you can take to help prevent this? maybe clear coat or a wax? i want to do my wheels white but really don't want to have to wipe them down after every ride to prevent staining.

White is god awful. Pain to keep clean as it is with the factory paint. And I remember reading something about waxing the plasti dip after it completely cures to help with easy cleaning

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead!! There is a product called dip coat on the dipyourcar website that makes dipped surface easier to clean. I am going to try that out soon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use Purple Power, diluted 50% with water and it does an excellent job of cleaning my dipped bike. I spray the bike with water, spray the Purple, let it sit for a minute or two, then wipe it down with a wet fiber cloth.

This is my Ducati when I dipped it pearl white with a red stripe
(let me know if the pics don't show. I'm linking them off my FB)
before:

after

And here's my 1000RR. Factory left mid coated with matte clear dip

The problem on the RR is that over time, the dip rubs away where my legs press against the tank. It may be because the coats were too thin, though. I coated it with thicker coats last weekend and will see if it can take the friction more. Another problem is the zipper on my riding jacket rips the dip on the tank protector, so what I did was gently trace the tank protector with a razor and peel the dip off of the protector after it dried.

·
Registered
138 Posts
haha, this was genius.

However, I did find out that WD40 KILLS plastidip. Next thing I want to try is precoating the sidewall of the tire with WD on a rag, making sure not to touch the rim, and spraying the dip on the rim directly. DYC has a vid where they do this with some liquid they sell; after they sprayed the wheel, they easily removed the dip off the tire after it was all dried up.

If you try to do your wheels without covering or coating the tire, you'll find that it's a real PITA removing the dip out of all the tire's lettering and such.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm contemplating dipping, but find it's real hard to clean my stock black wheels... at least the grease/grime doesn't show. How will I keep a non-black dipped rim clean? :(

61 - 78 of 78 Posts