Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as the title says and I did find a thread on this back in 05, but didn't really answer my question. I'm thinking of getting an akrapovic slip on (as soon as I can find a good used ones/sell my other junk to pay for it) and I want to know if the CF will start to fade after all the heat? It gets pretty hot at the tip and I don't want to throw down couple of bills just to find that the CF is fading. And if the CF does in due time, fade, how would I go around to "polishing" it so that it doesn't fade or anything? Anyone have any insights, unless the CF that akrapovic made is already made to take up the heat and fade. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know about akra cans, but I have a Jardine CF exhaust that's been on the bike for 3 years and it's faded noticeably. The areas nearest to the exhaust port also started yellowing. I've also seen yoshi cans that have faded after a year or two. Not sure if this is because of exposure to sunlight or heat. I've tried buffing the clear coat on my can and it gets rid of some of the fade, but not the discoloration since that's due to the resin.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
i have a hex CF and the tip has faded where the outlet is, there is no way to get around it, i think the tips can be replaced but it dosent bother me, you can bairly see it, some honda polish and some elbow grease seems to work

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think CF fades on direct sunlight fast, also CF will not last as long as SS or Titanium. If you like the look get it, I would rather get Titanium, will last forever.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Color will fade due to heat and sun light the yellowish haze is something you have to live with
some of it that is on the outer surface will come off but the deeper discoloration will stay

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
it depends on what resin is being used, it could be shitty resin that has almost no uv protection against yellowing. you'll never know if it's a good resin after it cures and you purchase it. also the heat coming off the pipe could easily warp the carbon fibers resin over time even if it has a higher tolerance for temps. I used to make a lot of things using carbon fiber and I just don't like the stuff anymore. you have to deal with many more issues when you buy a carbon exhaust.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm interesting stuff, thanks for the input. If i do what the vid is showing me, how many times a year should i do you think? Maybe like once every 6 months?

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
+1 good threat, very helpfull, i have a CF leo s/o, if it starts to fade/discolor now i know how to fix it. thanks for starting this thread and for everyones input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts