Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2008 CBR600RR and I like to start my bike up every week or so when I am not riding in the winter. I went out last week to start the bike and could hear the starter was turning much slower than usual which seemed odd as I have not had any starting issues after I charged the battery last year. I got out my battery charger and put it on 2 amps and when I hooked up to the negative terminal I got a big spark which seemed odd as the positive was not hooked up yet. I started the bike a few times and got a backfire each time and the idle was around 400 RPMs. Also the bike was running very rich. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
for the love of god don't start your poor bike over and over in the winter. you're doing it far more harm than good.

you've already killed the battery (obviously, the bike won't charge it at idle, so every time you do this you're draining it), and it sounds like you've half flooded it as well.

just leave the poor thing alone. pull the battery and don't start it until you're ready to ride it.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wibbly. I think you're right. I put the battery charger on 6 amps with the bike running and the problem went away.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When hooking up your battery Positive First. (Without a ground there'll be no sparks)

When taking out your battery Negative First. (Once the ground is off, battery is just a big ol lump of plastic)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts