Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search this but didn't get much info.

Anyways primarily before my bike is totally warmed up, the idle seems to jump up and down around ~300 rpm at random times. I can hear the engine revving and going down with the rpm needle.
At fully warm, the idle is set around 1300 rpm. I haven't noticed any problems when riding, just when stopped. Is this normal?

03 cbr600rr
leo vince slip on

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Your bike is supposed to idle at 1300 RPM +/- 100 per the manual. It sounds like your throttle bodies are VERY different in presusre. Theres a thread here somewhere on how to equalize them. I may not be using the right terminology but Ill try to track it down.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You're probably running a little rich at idle from the Leo Vince. I have an '04 w/ a Leo Vince SO. But I also have a PCIII installed to re-tune the map.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Your bike is supposed to idle at 1300 RPM +/- 100 per the manual. It sounds like your throttle bodies are VERY different in presusre. Theres a thread here somewhere on how to equalize them. I may not be using the right terminology but Ill try to track it down.
Don't worry about searching for it mate, you can't balance the throttle bodies - just the starter valves...

Start by checking for vacuum leaks and spark plug condition (don't go buying new ones if its not necessary though)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
idle is probably a stich low, with the adjuster on the left side of the bike, turn it just a hair to the right while warm, see if you can get it to smooth out, it does not take much at all

like 1/10th of a turn, give the throttle a quick rev, let it settle down

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
idle is probably a stich low, with the adjuster on the left side of the bike, turn it just a hair to the right while warm, see if you can get it to smooth out, it does not take much at all

like 1/10th of a turn, give the throttle a quick rev, let it settle down
Thanks for the reply.
I can usually get it to smooth out if I increase the idle speed - but that point is usually around 1500-1600 rpm. At ~200 degrees, the idle speed is set to about 1350-1400 rpm ( which is recommended I believe). What rpm would be too high?
I also have a leovince slip on, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I can usually get it to smooth out if I increase the idle speed - but that point is usually around 1500-1600 rpm. At ~200 degrees, the idle speed is set to about 1350-1400 rpm ( which is recommended I believe). What rpm would be too high?
I also have a leovince slip on, if that makes a difference.
if its around 1400 while above 180 degrees, you are good

also, when was the last time valve clearances were checked?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if its around 1400 while above 180 degrees, you are good

also, when was the last time valve clearances were checked?
I wish I knew... Bought the bike about 2000 miles ago. Now has 17k on the clock.
As far as I remember, it didn't do this when I first bought it either.

EDIT: When it is fully warm and at 1400 rpm, rpms move slightly. When warming up, the rpms jump more abruptly.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Tribal,

I don't think you have any issues to worry about. The idle sounds almost identical to mine. I wouldn't mess with the idle. If you're worried about the fuel map see if you can find a dyno and have it tested w/ an A/F ratio readout. The only thing you may need is a Power Commander to correct the fuel map in the upper RPM range.

If you had checked the valve clearances you would remember....:crackup: They're probably within tolerances as these bikes rarely require shims on their first scheduled service. I checked mine at 16k and everything was good.

I suggest you insert key and have some fun!

PS. I would replace the air filter if you haven't already. They tend to clog long before their scheduled service interval.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
my bike does this exact thing too except it happened when I installed the block off plates and removed the california emissions...any ideas?

im going to guess because the ecu is adjusting for something its not getting

or doing

as long as it smooths out when warm, dont worry about it too much.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
my bike does this exact thing too except it happened when I installed the block off plates and removed the california emissions...any ideas?
I would guess that its because your mixture at idle has become a little leaner because there is more oxygen available to the bike, hence the bouncing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
im going to guess because the ecu is adjusting for something its not getting

or doing

as long as it smooths out when warm, dont worry about it too much.
unfortunately it still does it even when it warms up, even gets hot.

i would guess that its because your mixture at idle has become a little leaner because there is more oxygen available to the bike, hence the bouncing.
any ideas on how to fix?
Should i adjust the idle on the left of the bike or the idle screw under the tank?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
unfortunately it still does it even when it warms up, even gets hot.

any ideas on how to fix?
Should i adjust the idle on the left of the bike or the idle screw under the tank?
thats the ONLY thing that can be done, other than tuning the idle with a PC that can be done to adjust idle conditions...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The idle screw will adjust the rpm at idle, I think its the mixture that is out.

The other thing it could be is the timing, you can look at that with a timing light if you like.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I noticed when I created some back pressure (putting my hand over the exhaust) my idle evened out perfectly! It does have the cat removed as well as the california emissions crap...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts