Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a bar last night and a guy was asking me about my Yoshi pipe, he asked if I had a power commander and being the novice I am, I gave him a blank look. He explained briefly what a power commander is and that I should put one in.

My questions Are: Do I need one mechanically speaking? Is it bad for my bike not to have one with a Yoshi Pipe? What are the benefits of putting one in?

I have an '05 CBR 600RR

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do you need one? no
If you install an aftermarket air filter in addition to your slip on do you need one? no
Will a power commander help with those 2 mods? Yes

I have a slip on and a k&n air filter on my bike, no power commander. The bike runs a little lean, but I'm fine with it because right now I don't have the time and money to install a power commander

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Let me simplify this for you:

State of bike scenarios:

- Completely stock - absolutely no need for PC
- Slip on only - no need for PC
- Aftermarket air filter only - no need for PC
- Slip on and aftermarket air filter - get it if you can afford it.
- Full system (as in slip on, link pipe and headers) Definitely get a PC.

The PC will ensure the air/fuel mixture is optimal for the changes made to the bike. You will need to dyno tune it or purchase the autotune module.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let me simplify this for you:

State of bike scenarios:

- Completely stock - absolutely no need for PC
- Slip on only - no need for PC
- Aftermarket air filter only - no need for PC
- Slip on and aftermarket air filter - get it if you can afford it.
- Full system (as in slip on, link pipe and headers) Definitely get a PC.

The PC will ensure the air/fuel mixture is optimal for the changes made to the bike. You will need to dyno tune it or purchase the autotune module.
Exactley this!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got a full Yoshi RS-5 system with a PCIII installed. Although I don't have a custom map, dynojet provides a "Stock CBR600RR + Full RS-5" map template that I'm using. Is this good enough for the mean-time until I can afford a full dyno test?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I've got a full Yoshi RS-5 system with a PCIII installed. Although I don't have a custom map, dynojet provides a "Stock CBR600RR + Full RS-5" map template that I'm using. Is this good enough for the mean-time until I can afford a full dyno test?
It should be good enough until you get a tune, but the thing is you have to stop for a second and analyze the bike, in other words, do you notice any odd behavior i.e.

- is there too much soot (carbon) on the tip of your exhaust?
- are the temperatures within the safe range or have they suddenly gone up from usual?

These are not conclusive questions but they might help you find out if the bike is running too lean (more air than optimal) or too rich (more fuel than optimal). If the throttle is gradual in its response and you notice no other problems at all, then you should be good for a long time until you get your tune.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
make sure you block your pair valves before you take it to the dyno.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
A dyno run will tell you for sure, but to be honest for most it's not needed at all unless you nothing something out of the norm. The Dynojet maps are actually very good. They are not perfect, but are damn good. The thing that people often forget about a dyno tune is that it's only as good as the guy running the dyno. I've seen people pay 350 for a custom tune just to find out the guy loaded the downloaded map into his powercommander, took the 350, and sent him on his way. Never even got a custom tune. Not all dyno operators are created equal is the thing to remember about dyno tunes.

Corey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Power commander

A dyno run will tell you for sure, but to be honest for most it's not needed at all unless you nothing something out of the norm. The Dynojet maps are actually very good. They are not perfect, but are damn good. The thing that people often forget about a dyno tune is that it's only as good as the guy running the dyno. I've seen people pay 350 for a custom tune just to find out the guy loaded the downloaded map into his powercommander, took the 350, and sent him on his way. Never even got a custom tune. Not all dyno operators are created equal is the thing to remember about dyno tunes.

Corey
Hi if you keep the oxygen sensor in the exhaust won't that make sure the mixture is right if you put an after market can and air filter on it. I have a 2007 by the way

·
Registered
178 Posts

Corey
WOW.. some people... If my Tuner did that...:gun1:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Another novice question. on the Dynojet website. it says that PC V only works with year models 09 and up. But then on motorcycle superstore, it says that the PC V is compatible with my 05. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
Another novice question. on the Dynojet website. it says that PC V only works with year models 09 and up. But then on motorcycle superstore, it says that the PC V is compatible with my 05. Whats the deal?
the PCV will work on 03-06 as well as 07-12 models, they all share the same part numbers so they should work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts