Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you flame me :icon_lol: hear me out! Most guys (including myself) never touch the rear brake, so I've been wondering why truck around all that weight, some of which is rotating mass (the rotor)? Why not get rid of the rear brake assembly altogether and save an easy 10 lbs? The only reason I can think of is that tracks may require it; does anyone out there know if they do? If they do not, can anyone think of a reason to keep the rear brake even if you do not use it when riding?

Thanks all,

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
That is a great question,, I to almost never use it,,, (Only use it when my GF is on the back)

I am interested to see what people have to say

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
the track orgs i go through don't require it. for racing i have to have it on there, it's in the rulebook. jes make a spacer for where the axle goes through the caliper mount bracket and give it a go!

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
i think it all comes down to who is teching the bike. some orgs sit there and actually test out ur breaks and get on the ground for inspection. i've had others where they have young teenage kids that just take a quick glance and ur good to go.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i use the rear brake....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Every track I've ridden has required brakes on both wheels.

At TTD, we certainly check front and rear brakes.

Miss a turn and run into the grass and your rear brake is your friend.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would run it for safety, even if you never touch it riding, you will be very glad its there if something ever happens to the fronts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would always run one, not so much just in case the fronts go out, but more for the occasional off track excursion. Touch the front brakes in the grass/sand and your going down pretty quick.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would always run one, not so much just in case the fronts go out, but more for the occasional off track excursion. Touch the front brakes in the grass/sand and your going down pretty quick.

What he said, you WILL need it if you run off course, and most TD providers require it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Every track I've ridden has required brakes on both wheels.

At TTD, we certainly check front and rear brakes.

Miss a turn and run into the grass and your rear brake is your friend .
Werd :beer:

I almost never touch my rear brake at the track. but we've been taught to use it in the event of a ride-off.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Is it really all that much weight that it makes that much of a difference? I am sure if you just took a dump you would lighten up too... Why are people so concerned with dropping static weight on a bike that they will not likely ride in a race league where a pound of weight will be that critical? I you really are that concerned with weight, start with he rotational weight and get some forged aluminium or magnesium wheels.

Practice using your rear brake WITH your front and you will notice a significant decrease in stopping distance.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
From my experience it depends on who you are riding with. Some poeple dont care if it works or not and some wont let you touch track without it.
Like you, i almost never use the back brake, but like many people have said, when you go off the track at speed it's the only thing that can save you so KEEP IT. I just used mine for that about 2 weeks ago. Applied a little back brake and I was back on the track in a few seconds, had it not been there I might have not been riding for a while.

Second, I'm not sure how experienced as a rider you are, but unless you are super fast and racing for money, the weight of your bike isn't that important. The most important thing when your starting out on the track is to focus on your riding and not so much about the bike.
Unless you are going for the lap record at the track, 10lbs aint gonna make a difference, but that's just my 2cents.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
yea, for my tech inspections I don't "REQUIRE" them but they must be safe, no fluid leaking etc...

But having it would be a good thing.

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
every track day org and race org I have went to checks front and rear brakes. although I rarely use it I have needed it a few times.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,791 Posts
even the best in the world use the rear brake sometimes, in my book (performance riding techniques) Rossi is quoted saying he uses the brakes 80-20.

that is something to think about especially coming from the 8 time world champion.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i think it all comes down to who is teching the bike. some orgs sit there and actually test out ur breaks and get on the ground for inspection. i've had others where they have young teenage kids that just take a quick glance and ur good to go.
+1

you can't imagine the things I've seen pass and fail at CCS events

1 - 20 of 24 Posts