Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed the yoshi manual says to repack every 5,000 miles... I would be the kind of person to have to take it somewhere to get repacked.. what would this typically cost? And do people actually follow this 'rule' as to not void warranty?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Every 3k?! That seems a bit excessive. Only thing I change that often is the oil. :ponder:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just re-read the instructions.. it says every 5,000 miles... but still.. do people actually do this?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Nope never. Probably won't ever bother to on any of my bikes ever, especially the cans that have rivets. 5,000 miles? That's so unnecessary.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Isn't repacking just a noise thing or is there any performance/operation issues?

I've got about 6.5k on mine since I bought it and haven't repacked, the previous owner said something about repacking it soon after buying so not sure how many miles they had on the RS-5, but now I'm definitely well over the 5k "recommendation".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Isn't repacking just a noise thing or is there any performance/operation issues?

I've got about 6.5k on mine since I bought it and haven't repacked, the previous owner said something about repacking it soon after buying so not sure how many miles they had on the RS-5, but now I'm definitely well over the 5k "recommendation".
I don't know about other materials but the carbon fiber apparently degrades a lot faster without it properly packed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a how to on repacking?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Every 3k?! That seems a bit excessive. Only thing I change that often is the oil. :ponder:
Honda service manual says every 8k for oil. Why waste money?

That's like when I see an ad for a car for sale and it says "oil changed every 1500 miles with full synthetic."

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Every manufacturer has recommendations for repacking it to 100% cover this ass from he can having issues. However, I think you'll find nobody that follows it. In fact I would say about 99% of all owners never repack it and never have an issue to be honest. If you start seeing discoloration, it getting super loud, or it's damn old (5+ years or so) then it would surely be a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts