Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from the title you would think I am talking about wheelies....but sorry, not today. I am a fairly new rider and I find myself clutchin for turns. Is this a normal habit or do I just need to practice how to close the throttle????? Sometimes I can turn by just down shifting and easing off the throttle, but 9 out of 10 times I find my self pulling in the clutch, down shifting, then easing off the clutch. Is this a normal practice or am I just a squid?????

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
i don't clutch in when going thru a corner.. i downshift before it and control the throttle. it's unsafe when u clutch in thru a turn, because you can't use the engine to slow down or contorl the throttle respond other than the brakes.

i am not a pro at bikes but it's the concept i learn from driving a manual car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You shouldn't be touching the clutch during corners.. Slow down before the corner, then accelerate through the corner. The acceleration helps stabalize the bike. (Straight outta the MSF course if you happen to take it)

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
ssm6 said:
You shouldn't be touching the clutch during corners.. Slow down before the corner, then accelerate through the corner. The acceleration helps stabalize the bike. (Straight outta the MSF course if you happen to take it)
Absolutely true

·
Registered
883 Posts
ssm6 said:
Word... All braking and shifting should be done prior to entering the corner. Slow into the corner, then either maintain speed or accelerate out of the corner.

N

·
0 Posts
I used to clutch it in out of fear when I was a noob. Now, do me a favor...what is the last thing you recall looking at as you were clutching it in. For me, I noticed I was looking 5 if not 10 feet in front of me (mostly the ground) when I should be looking fully through the turn. My mind was on the clutching and ground rather than looking through the turn.

Rolling on the throttle through the turn stables the bike my friend. Finish your braking before the turn, judge your speed, pick a turning point/reference, finish your turn, and roll on the throttle.

Clutching and maintaining speed (<--actually you're reducing the speed) does not keep the bike stable.

Just my .02 from what I learned from Keith Code's school.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
well, the correct advice has been given. i understand where the fear comes from though. i'm a new rider, and i'm pretty sure i've clutched in a turn or two. something i don't think i do anymore (or at least trying not to).

K

·
0 Posts
Don't they teach these things at a Basic Riders Course?

pretty sure they do... actually i'm 100% positive they do...

N

·
0 Posts
Knightslugger said:

They do but it's so unrealistic for the MSF course coaches to expect them to get these down within two weeks.

I feel like the course should be for 4 months or something.

N

·
0 Posts
BroChaos said:
2 weeks? my msf course was 15 hours (10 riding) over 3 days. they definitely teach it though.
No wonder your riding skills are all messed!!! LOL!!! j/k

·
Registered
114 Posts
you should be in the gear your gonna go through the turn in a little ways before you get to it so that you have time to concentrate on picking a line and adjusting your entry speed and not worry about shifting or clutchin

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Knightslugger said:

Yes they did teach it but again I am a new rider. I started learning on my own before I took the course, so I did whatever was comfortable. So thus after the course I start wondering am I the only one and what are some tips to stop?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
grab/step on the brake levers. its all about what your confortable with.

some people here will say to engine brake some, others against it. i use it at the lower rpms mostly, but cant help it sometimes when riding recreationally. just be sure that when ur braking ur careful about the rear wheel, it liikes to lock up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nemesis said:
I used to clutch it in out of fear when I was a noob.
so you're not a noob anymore???? :icon_lol:

yes try to get everything done before the turn (including slowing down for a proper entry speed that you are comfy with) then accelerate through the corner..dont worry you will get used to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts