Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How do you feel about riding with people without proper, high quality gear?

• Yes, I will ride with them - a non-issue for me

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Yes, but I make sure the pace or risk is more managed

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Depends on the rider

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • No, I have seen enough damage to human beings due to a lack of gear

Votes: 16 16.3%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I may push some buttons with this one, but I want to see if my fellow RR'ers (yes! I made a new word, I think) have felt this same way.

When out riding, I always tend to ride with individuals who feel the same way that I do about gear - iow the best, albeit complete kit, we can afford. I look at gear as a necessary expense associated with motorcycle riding so I do not skimp on any of my gear, and I always wear complete coverage even when commuting such as helmet (FF), Jacket/Riding specific pants or 1-piece leather suit, Protective gloves, and over the ankle riding specific boots.

Here's why I am like this:

I personally do not want to ride with someone where there is a much higher risk that I will be looking at visible muscle tissue trauma, unnecessary contusions or other injuries that would have easily been avoided with proper gear. I also do not want to be forced to stop due to weather or other comfort related stuff that could be easily avoided with the right stuff on.

To me it is seriously is dumb as hell to ride without gear on when honestly it is not that expensive compared to the price of your motorcycle. If you can't afford the gear, then how can you afford the motorcycle? This is where the intellect comes into play.

The skill comes into play because inevitably as we gain skill, we tend to push boundaries and have a get-off. Usually it only takes one skin graft to know that you should at least throw on a thick(er) leather jacket. So this is how I judge skill by quality of gear.

So how does everyone else feel?

Damian

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
This is a pretty good topic, I look at gear as a sign of responsibility and care. If I see someone with full leathers or everything besides the pants I will respect them. However, a lot of riders learn bad habits from other riders with the concurring bad habit of not wearing the proper protection. I cannot blame anyone who doesn't have a jacket, boots, gloves, pants, but I do blame them for not having a helmet, after all you do only have one body.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i personally dont care, its your skin, your problem.
as long as the person is not doing anything stupid that could harm me, go for it, i dont care if your not wearing gear.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I definitely judge intellect because I agree, people are dumb as hell not to wear gear. That being said I have met some very skilled riders who dont wear enough/any gear. Overall its just Darwinism back at work and Im all for weeding out the idiots.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that people should have the choice to wear gear (libertarian here), but I also have the choice to not ride with them. I guess since I have been riding for more than 10 years now (I'm only 27) and have seen so many injuries and **** that could have been avoided that I choose to only ride with people that have the right gear on. I have personally told people to go away because they didn't have gear. Or if they are a friend, I will lend them gear to wear for the ride.

Damian

·
Registered
157 Posts
The gear is their choice.

I let them know it is a good idea,then leave them to their choice.

The people I won't ride with are the people that want to speed,play

racer,wheelie etc.

Otherwords,irresponsible people.

I learned to control myself,so can they.

·
Registered
277 Posts
to each their own. i cant afford the shoei, leathers and boots i want. but i do have some awesome gloves. tho not gauntlets, too spendy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're dumb enough to not wear the proper gear, then you're dumb enough to stupid things while you ride.

I refuse to ride with anyone that's not wearing at least a helmet.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I try not to judge riders by their gear, but by their attitude and manner when they ride. There are plenty of squidly riders here in my area, being a No-helmet state so i'm very used to seeing riders with absolutely no gear on except some sunglesses.

But it does reflect upon a rider how they care about themselves if they ride without proper gear all the time. Riding with no gear once in a while is ok; if it becomes a habit then its a problem.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Whore
4,993 Posts
I could care less.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I don't preach. Everyone knows the risks. It's their skin, not mine. Now if one of my sisters started riding and didn't wear any gear, I'd start preaching.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I try not to judge riders by their gear, but by their attitude and manner when they ride.
:+1:

As above, some very mature riders dont wear enough, and some in full leathers are a hazard to all.

I only have a helment, jacket, and gloves. Tomorrow I finally get muh riding pants and boots. You cant tell me that I am smarter tomorrow than I am today just because the pants (unless their magic :crackup: ) - thats like saying at the stroke of midnight to begin your 21st birthday your suddenly going to be responsible with alcohol :drunk:

·
Registered
653 Posts
i wont refuse to ride with someone due to lack of gear. i will refuse to ride with someone i feel is careless and a danger to myself. while it is usually a good indication of how someone will ride, i will wait until i ride with them to decide. i have known dangerous, overconfident riders who always have full gear on, and great riders that i feel completely safe around who dont always wear much gear.

so for me its not really an issue, at least until i see how the person rides. while i always encourage people to wear full gear, i'm not going to try and force them to do so or anything, its their decision

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't think that gear level is an indication of intelligence, I do think that it implies responsibility though. Obviously I would rather ride with somebody who displays a higher level of responsibility than somebody who appears to be irresponsible.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I wear my gear.

I don't really care if others don't, their skin and they can abrade it off at any speed they choose to.

Having said that, I will always encourage people to buy and wear the right gear. Particularly hot birds on bikes (and more commonly scooters)...

·
Premium Member
12,223 Posts
I wear my gear.

I don't really care if others don't, their skin and they can abrade it off at any speed they choose to.

Having said that, I will always encourage people to buy and wear the right gear. Particularly hot birds on bikes (and more commonly scooters)...
:+1: most of my buddies have full gear, but ive seen some wear min gear on "hot days" for instance, i alwasy point out to them, better to sweat than bleed right ;)

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I voted no but I want to explain that answer.

When we ride as a group (Austin Sport Bike Riders) a certain level of gear is required. This helps reduce the type of injury that we may encounter and have to deal with out in the hill country where help might be over 100 miles away.

Gear is a choice, plain and simple. It's like anything else. You have to assess, and assume the risk of any action that you take whether it be while riding, or doing business or whatever. I don't consider riders without gear to be squids. I do consider riders that endanger others by their actions, geared up or not to be squids. High speed runs or stunting on public roads, running from the po-po. All squidly, and STUPID behavior. There are places to ride fast or do stunts.

If you want to ride without gear and I don't have to pay for your medical bills or extended care then kum-ba-ya.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
All the riders I know wear leathers, boots, gloves, and helmets. That is because I am on a track...

I judge them by how many times they have repaired their leathers.

I don't trust any rider's line that has shiney new leathers on.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.