Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Would you do a trackday without health insurance?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • Trackday? Never heard of it. Is that after Memorial day?

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this to be an interesting question, so I made a poll.

I would not do a trackday without HI.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't see a poll.

No, I wouldn't either. Too risky. In fact, I should check if my HI covers track days...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see a poll.

No, I wouldn't either. Too risky. In fact, I should check if my HI covers track days...
You got in while I was creating the poll. That was fast. It is up now.

·
all good, all the time
323 Posts
My wife and I are both self-employed and health insurance for us is over $800 per month. Catastrophic (which we have) insurance costs us $132 per month. It is cheaper for us to go to the hospital, pay cash, and get a 50% discount as a result. My wife's hysterectomy cost us $1100 without insurance. Why get insurance when there are other options?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife and I are both self-employed and health insurance for us is over $800 per month. Catastrophic (which we have) insurance costs us $132 per month. It is cheaper for us to go to the hospital, pay cash, and get a 50% discount as a result. My wife's hysterectomy cost us $1100 without insurance. Why get insurance when there are other options?
Does catastrpohic cover motorcycle accidents?

·
Registered
606 Posts
We have a few guys who race without insurance, and it's absolutely horrible to see what happens to their families when the unthinkable happens. If you have a spouse and children who rely on you to be responsible, having insurance seems like it should be a requirement. If you're single, and a bankruptcy would only really affect you, it's your choice.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
An accident in 2003 put me in the hospital for 3 and a half days. Total of the bill plus the ambulnace ride was 47k which insurance took care of. Of course I had to pay my deductable which was nothing compared to total amount.

·
all good, all the time
323 Posts
We have a few guys who race without insurance, and it's absolutely horrible to see what happens to their families when the unthinkable happens. If you have a spouse and children who rely on you to be responsible, having insurance seems like it should be a requirement. If you're single, and a bankruptcy would only really affect you, it's your choice.
No kids here and my wife is self-sufficient.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is an interesting policy. Since I rarely use my insurance, that would work well for me. But, it isn't an option with my current employer.

·
Registered
796 Posts
An accident in 2003 put me in the hospital for 3 and a half days. Total of the bill plus the ambulnace ride was 47k which insurance took care of. Of course I had to pay my deductable which was nothing compared to total amount.
Yeah, this sort of thing is exactly what I'm afraid of. Medical costs are insane. I'd hate to have an unexpected helicopter ride without insurance.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you can afford to race a bike. The cost of health insurance should not be an issue.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I thought all track day organizations require you to have health insurance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you can afford to race a bike. The cost of health insurance should not be an issue.
You would think, however if your self employed, some pre-existing conditions make it nearly impossible, and even if you do get covered racing is normally not.

The AMA does offer a plan. It's limited to 10K or 25K... I'm just thankful I'm covered through work and don't have to worry about it.

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
I get hurt the the government fixes me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts