Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my stock exhaust back on after having a loud exhaust for years. I just dont feel like people are as aware of me without it. Is this just me? I feel like im sneeking up on them and they have no idea im even around. Where as before my exhaust just screamed that i was coming. So i think that a loud exhaust is definetly a safety measure for awareness. Lets people know your their.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
I don't think it makes me feel that much safer but with a loud pipe if you need to make some noise you can and get someone's attention. I do enjoy the sound though.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Maybe people behind me notice me more. Most of the sound is directed out the rear of the bike, making it much harder for people in front of you to hear you, and it's the people in front of me i'm most worried about.
When i had my RC i got noticed alot more because the exhaust note was so low and loud that people could literally feel me coming.
I feel any safer with a loud pipe.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Most cars and fairly sound proof and have A/C so ppl dont how windows down, also last time I checked most ppl listen to music when they drive, I HIGHLY doubt that having a loud pipe will prevent an accident lol..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe people behind me notice me more. Most of the sound is directed out the rear of the bike, making it much harder for people in front of you to hear you, and it's the people in front of me i'm most worried about.
Ditto. This is one of those things that Harley riders always use when talking about their loud pipes. ride2die even mentions this:

"Loud Pipes Save Lives

Are you kidding? Do we need to cover this again?
- The vast majority of bike accidents are from the front. To have any chance of alerting those motorists to the presence of a motorcycle with exhaust noise would require that the tailpipe be pointed forward. LOL. The chances of rearward-facing straight pipes making a bike more obvious are very slim. The reality of the loud pipe is that all you'll succeed in doing is irritating all the people behind and beside you who don't pose much of a threat anyway.
- You are pissing off everyone around you. So who cares if you gun the throttle past an open driver's-side window and scare the hell out of the occupants? At least they see you, right? Maybe, but take a look at what happened to personal watercraft in Minnesota. Take a look at what happened in Yellowstone. Put it another way: how much do you appreciate the "music" blaring from other people's cars: the throbbing car stereo that shakes the very ground with some indistinguishable bass crap? How interested in someone else's music are you? Perhaps nobody else wants to listen to it. Perhaps they don't like the sound. Maybe they're trying to concentrate, or talk, or watch TV, or sleep. Maybe their kids are trying to sleep.
- Loud exhaust pipes are illegal. Even HD has finally stopped installing them."

Now, I think a freer flowing pipe, which always ends up being louder, it just fine. But the safety aspect of it is highly overrated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Loud pipes can make you get noticed by the wrong people. The cops, or someone prone to road rage. I believe flashing lights gets thier attention more than a loud pipe.

However I just love the looks and sound of custom pipes. The stock ones are just... errr.. "stock" :p

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
da bitches dig my pipe...
lol
Anyways if i did not take MSF i would not feel safe. that is a big reason i am going to retake it for refresher

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
no. ive been sideswiped even with my exhaust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My bike was so quiet before I fitted an aftermarket pipe, while riding through town pedestrians would just wander into the road in front of me - bloody lemmings.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was hit going to the freeway...with just headers on.. there is NO excuse for drivers not seeing you, however, visual respnse if the primary response in humans...A slipon is a total waste and factory exhausts a so good now after market full systems will only get you about 5hp..not the 10-15hp gains of the late 90s...

·
Registered
210 Posts
making it much harder for people in front of you to hear you, and it's the people in front of me i'm most worried about.
I'm going to disagree a bit with you on this one if I can. I am not saying you are wrong, but think about this.

You should be more worried about the people behind you instead of the people in front of you. Say for example, you see a guy who is swerving left to right, that appears to be drunk in your mirrors behind you. Would it be safer to have him back there, or have him in front of you where you can at least keep an eye on him in addition to the direction in which you are traveling?

·
Registered
125 Posts
most of those A-HOLES are only listening to the radio and the other party on the cell phone!

Just a note....last week my rinding buddy went to visit a friend in the hospital..he was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident...car pulled out in front of him. Guess what? When my friend was leaving the hospital that night he was side swiped (not 30 ft. from the hosipital) by a FKN cager not paying attention. Luckily it only took out his peg and shifter.

Cagers are the enemy! Hell, an AMUBULENCE alomst took me out last week too.....the Paramedic on the passenger side saw me (his eyes got about 100 ft. wide), but the AHOLE driving was running his D!ck sucker on the cell phone and never even saw me. Pulled across my lane to turn into a a gas station. Luckily, I saw it coming and was prepared (brake always covered...etc...). I guess I would have had quick medical care!!!!HAHAH.

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
I don't know if I feel safer but I do get noticed. Well, the pink also helps. ha!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ive read several things that say the loud pipe thing is a myth and can actually make you less safe in some situations because of the distraction. I've also read several things that say the contrary though so who really knows.

I just always ride with the assumption that NOBODY can see me.

Personally, I had stock exhaust for two years and didn't feel less safe. I did have exhaust envy though cause some of my buddies ride custom Harleys with the loud exhaust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts