Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run out of ideas why myself and alot of us find it easier to make left corners than right.

As I've never asked an american before on this issue, I thought maybe its because down here in Australia we drive on the LHS of the road so for some whatever reason its easier for us to turn left than right? So what do the RHS drivers/riders think?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have never had a problem with either, but I can can honestly say that there isn't much to compare myself to in this area. around here I look like a pro, but if I went to SoCal or NY I'd be in back of the pack

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've run out of ideas why myself and alot of us find it easier to make left corners than right.

As I've never asked an american before on this issue, I thought maybe its because down here in Australia we drive on the LHS of the road so for some whatever reason its easier for us to turn left than right? So what do the RHS drivers/riders think?
Prefer turning to the right, we also drive on the left. Dont know wht it is but its wierd.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I would think that it has to do with the fact that your right side dominant...

The only left/right road difference that I'm aware of is that the right hand side of the front tyre will wear / scallop more than the left when you ride on the left hand side of the road. The opposite applies to those who ride on the right.

Personally I'm more comfortable in a left hander.

·
Registered
903 Posts
At one time, I struggled with right-handers. I've lived in the U.S. my entire life AND I'm left-handed, so maybe that has something to do with it.....I honestly don't know. Since I started doing track days, I've worked on eliminating the "right-hand turn" issue, and have successfully done so. I decided several years ago that I would spend an entire track day, if necessary to try and figure it out. My approach was to ride at a lesser pace than I would normally and try to figure out what I was doing at the LHTs vs. the RHTs. It only took me one session to figure out that when turning right, I was NOT looking through the turn nearly as much as when I was going left. My body position, as best as I could tell, was the same on both sides, it's just that I was looking a lot closer to where I was at on the track, instead of looking through the corner. I made a conscious effort to make sure that every right hander that I went through, I would make sure that I was looking through the corner just as much as I did when encountering the left handers. That was probably three years ago and sometimes I still catch myself not looking through on the right handers as much as I do on the lefties. The difference now is, I know what to correct and it is much easier get back in shape.

This may or may not be an issue for everyone that has a "weak side" problem, because there are many factors involved in riding correctly (what works for you), but this ONE issue was enough to pretty much cause me to be equal on both sides. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Right handers are tighter than the left handers. Its much easier for you to see where you are going through the left hand curves therefore you subconsciously feel more confident making for the faster speeds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a new rider for about 4 months now, I believe it has something to do with the throttle being on the right side. When I turn right, my wrist is bent in a weird position and harder to control the bike. When turning left, my arm/wrist is in almost normal position, which I can more comfortably control the bike without the fear of upsetting the bikes balance by sudden jerking or deceleration of the throttle.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I usually don't find it an issue on the bike regarding which way I turn. My balance is fine in both directions, but I do have a harder time making quick U-turns to the right because a screw I have in my wrist. Trying to twist the throttle and pull the handlebars all the way in puts my wrist at a weird angle it doesnt like.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same problem, and I'm thinking it may have to do with the ergonomics of the 07+ Hondas. My first bike was an 03 600RR and I never had a problem turning right. Now on my 08, I feel noticably less confident on right handers than lefts.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Never really noticed. Too busy looking for the next corner in all honesty..lol. I don't think it matters which direction I go, just as long as it is clear in front of me. :cruising:

Odd days at the proving grounds were clockwise, Even days counter clockwise on a certain track. Never been an issue come to think of it.. :dontknow:

Attachments

·
C.F.A. member / whore
1,693 Posts
funny discussion, It switches for me but my knee pucks say left is better, why? psychological i believe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts