Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random thought. If a tornado was imminent and you didn't have time to run, would suiting up before getting to a safe room be a smart choice?

I was just thinking that, short of bullets, good protective leather gear is pretty durable for most things. So a collapsing roof, flying debris, even a brick to the head might be survivable thanks to A*

(sometimes i wish there was kevlar padding on the inside)

your thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can test this line your head up in the path of a 2x4 going 60-100mph and see how it feels. Gear helps against rash and some impact absorption, not so much the absorption part.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
i think it would be useless

having seen the destruction first hand of a tornado

if your in one big enough thats sending bricks your way, your talking a big tornado, thats going to be sending spliters of wood right through things

ive seen flipflops get implaed into a tire so hard and so fast the tire didnt defalte

theres pictures and records or vinyl record albums being lodged into telephone pules, even things like hay getting lodged into a telephone pole

that would just shred any leather

helmet, and gloves would be most viable, and only reason i say gloves is to have hand protection when your digging your self out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Obviously it wouldn't hurt to put on gear.

Leather will stop some penetration (splintering from wood, etc).

The Jarrell Tornado happened a matter of miles from me (one of the deadliest, 27 deaths). The statistics for COD: The immediate cause of death for 26 (90%) of the victims was multiple traumatic injuries; other causes of death included myocardial infarction, head injury, and asphyxia.

·
Registered
52 Posts
you just asked about gear then going into a saferoom... why would you need gear if youre just gonna end up in a safe room anyways..? lol

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
you just asked about gear then going into a saferoom... why would you need gear if youre just gonna end up in a safe room anyways..? lol
because a "safe" room, is often just a safer place to be, its not immune to the effects of one of the most powerfull forces on earth....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you literally have a bomb shelter underground, there is no such thing as a safe place within its path. an F4 took out a 1/4 mile wide path of New Hartford, IA in '08. that town is 10 miles from me and that half of the town is just prairie now. Then an F5 completely wiped a mall and its parking lot off of the map north of OKC in '99. it's now a clear concrete slab for autocross racing.

Does any other part of the world have tornadoes? If not, what the hell were early settlers thinking when they saw and experienced them the first time? I would have packed my sh*t and moved further west!

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Unless you literally have a bomb shelter underground, there is no such thing as a safe place within its path. an F4 took out a 1/4 mile wide path of New Hartford, IA in '08. that town is 10 miles from me and that half of the town is just prairie now. Then an F5 completely wiped a mall and its parking lot off of the map north of OKC in '99. it's now a clear concrete slab for autocross racing.

Does any other part of the world have tornadoes? If not, what the hell were early settlers thinking when they saw and experienced them the first time? I would have packed my sh*t and moved further west!
to be clear, that tornado in 99 was techinically a f6, which didnt exist on the f scale at the time

it did more than clear a mall from the planet, it cleared a path a mile wide, ~30 miles long of every thing to dirt.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'd put my gear on... and then I'd get on my bike so that I could GTFO of there. Gear would do next to nothing against debris flying around at 150mph.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Forget Tornatos.. My Gears First Choice Vs Zombies>> Lets See Them Bite Threw That While I Beat Them With A Crowbar!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to be clear, that tornado in 99 was techinically a f6, which didnt exist on the f scale at the time

it did more than clear a mall from the planet, it cleared a path a mile wide, ~30 miles long of every thing to dirt.
It still doesn't exist on the current EF 0-5 scale, but yes, it exceeded the old fujita scale's classifications.

It pretty much cut a line between where my family lived and where my gf at the time lived.

hmmm, this all makes me want to reconsider any cross-country travel on the RR. I really want to go to Arkansas, but during any warm month I can see running into a bad storm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NO kidding when I saw this post I LOL'd.... A good friend of mine was at home alone about 4 years ago when an f3 tornado his his part of town.. He ran into the inner most room of the house... Bathroom... And put his riding gear on including helmet and got in the tub with a mattress over him.. While he was waiting it out his sister got home and found him curled up in the tub.. We laugh about that to this day!!!! Given the circumstances I would have done it to but must have been funny to rush home to take cover and find your brother in full bike gear under a mattress in the bath tub

·
Registered
84 Posts
NO kidding when I saw this post I LOL'd.... A good friend of mine was at home alone about 4 years ago when an f3 tornado his his part of town.. He ran into the inner most room of the house... Bathroom... And put his riding gear on including helmet and got in the tub with a mattress over him.. While he was waiting it out his sister got home and found him curled up in the tub.. We laugh about that to this day!!!! Given the circumstances I would have done it to but must have been funny to rush home to take cover and find your brother in full bike gear under a mattress in the bath tub
That's pretty funny. If I think about it if I was your buddy I'd probably fall asleep in the tub. Is that what he did?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Me and a friend tried destroying an old lid, it was well worn and scratched anyway so we felt that duty called. It stood up pretty well to multiple attacks from a hammer and being hurled in various directions at much more solid objects...like walls.

Fortunately the UK doesn't have many :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts