Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home today i got drenched and since it has been a while since i got drenched i wanted to refresh my knowledge so i browsed my old clips for a good rain article and this is what i read enjoy

1. Some riders think when the rain starts to come down, so door, tucking the bike away until the sun shines again the following spring. Unfortunately, they're missing one of the best motorcycling experiences. Riding in the rain can be fun as long as you know what to expect and how to change your riding accordingly.

First of all, clothe yourself properly. A good rainsuit, gloves, boots, and perhaps an electric vest, can keep even the most persistent storm from soaking you. But most importantly, you must change the way you handle the motorcycle. Throttle adjustments need to be made smoothly and in small increments; use less lean angle; gradually apply your brakes and get your braking done early.

2. Be wary of intersections when riding in wet conditions. We all know about the oils in the pavement that surface after a rain, but what about the oil that was already there? Any place in the road where cars come to a stop will have a higher concentration of the slick stuff. The rain makes it worse. You may not be able to spot this while riding, so it's best to decrease your speed when approaching intersections. Don't run yellow lights, because if you have to turn or brake quickly chances are you'll encounter a traction problem. When stopped at a red light, check the rear-view mirror for cars that could slide into you from behind. Also, double your following distance so as not to be surprised by cars stopping suddenly in front of you.

3. Two things we've noticed that drastically reduce traction during wet weather are manhole covers and sealer pavement. Both of these are like black ice when it's raining. When traveling in a straight line they pose less of a threat, but be sure to scan well ahead before you turn the bike to enter an intersection. Get off the brakes early and take a line that's clear of traction-limiting obstructions. Sealer pavement is usually darker than the surrounding blacktop. It can be found in town or on rural roads, and it comes in large patches or smaller sections where it's used for crack repair. If you encounter either of these traction inhibitors resist braking or accelerating hard. If you have to change your line or turn over a greasy section, keep your hands relaxed on the clip-ons and don't lean the bike any more than necessary.

4. Although this may seem obvious, it is amazing how many people we see riding in an area of the lane that is wet even though an adjacent area is dry. Dry pavement offers superior traction and maneuverability, so make sure you continually place yourself in the driest section of the lane. If you can force yourself to slow down and be relaxed, you will find that rain riding (and even touring) can teach you how to be a better and more confident rider. City riding in stormy weather is by far the most nerve-racking, but just because the clouds roll in doesn't mean you can't ride almost every day. Remembering a few pointers can make riding in the rain easier and safer than you think. And besides, who wants to garage their motorcycle for five months out of the year ?

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
You have such a high risk getting hurt while riding when it's dry, so it's not worth it to me to raise my chances anymore by making rain a factor.

Also I don't like getting wet. Hehe.

·
Registered
393 Posts
1+ proper gear!...i was riding on the highway and it started raining and since i didnt have my jacket then (just long sleeve is all the army requires), the rain felt like little rocks hitting me....

Funny, im still trying to decide if i should ride my bike tomorrow to work because there is a 40% chance of rain!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've done over 800 miles in a weekend,rain the whole time and hail with high winds the first 100 miles.........It was a blast

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TOMIMOTO said:
You have such a high risk getting hurt while riding when it's dry, so it's not worth it to me to raise my chances anymore by making rain a factor.

Also I don't like getting wet. Hehe.
No one ever plans on getting drenched or riding in the rain
but just in case either instance happens to you having the
simple do's and don'ts in your knowledgable noggin will
keep you safe

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I used to ride in the rain all the time. Eventually I highsided on some crosswalk paint...just gotta watch out for that stuff. Never made me scurred of rain. I've actually just gone out for a ride to clear my head while it was raining pretty hard.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
I would never ride to work unless I knew 100% it was going to be sunny for my time being there. Same for riding at all.

I've only been caught in the rain twice. My first time was a complete downpour that lasted for the 10 minutes it took for me to pull in my garage. Once I pulled into my garage and looked outside it was sunny and the road was already dry, as I was soaked. That was awesome. Then my second time it was just sprinkling and I spun my wheel up real hard in second trying to pass a slow moving vehicle that was on the side of the road.

I'm not a fan of the rain.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TOMIMOTO said:
I would never ride to work unless I knew 100% it was going to be sunny for my time being there. Same for riding at all.

I've only been caught in the rain twice. My first time was a complete downpour that lasted for the 10 minutes it took for me to pull in my garage. Once I pulled into my garage and looked outside it was sunny and the road was already dry, as I was soaked. That was awesome. Then my second time it was just sprinkling and I spun my wheel up real hard in second trying to pass a slow moving vehicle that was on the side of the road.

I'm not a fan of the rain.
I understand man but really it aint so bad
after riding in the rain a few times your fobia
will be history

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
moeman said:
I understand man but really it aint so bad
after riding in the rain a few times your fobia
will be history
It's not really that I'm scared. I just don't like getting wet unless I'm swimming or in the shower. You can't see anything and your visor fogs up. It sucks when your cell phone and wallet and butts and all that good stuff in your pockets get soaked. Then your shoes smell like complete ass making you have to buy a new pair, and on and on and on.

If I were to ride in the rain I would probley rock a poncho or one of those big black trash bags.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
If I were to ride in the rain I would probley rock a poncho or one of those big black trash bags.
Haha! The trashbag would be awesome. I still plan on riding sometime in a superman cape and getting a lot of pictures :)

Off topic a little. Sorry...

Back to the topic, I got caught in the rain coming off the top of a place called blood mountain (best twisties here in North GA) and I have to admit, because it was a hot day, It was a fun experience. It's a nice change up. I dont think I would ever gear up and head out into the rain, but I dont mind getting caught in it. I need to keep a ziplock bag in my tail for my cell though.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TOMIMOTO said:
It's not really that I'm scared. I just don't like getting wet unless I'm swimming or in the shower. You can't see anything and your visor fogs up. It sucks when your cell phone and wallet and butts and all that good stuff in your pockets get soaked. Then your shoes smell like complete ass making you have to buy a new pair, and on and on and on.

They sell one piece rain suits bro i have a teknic suit
that is great ( when i have it with me )

Teknic Tornado 1 Piece Rainsuits. Pvc backed nylon. Double stitched welded seams. Tri-level front rain flap. Elastic wrists, waist, ankles. Velcro closures at wrist. Zippered ankles. Corduroy-lined collar. 3M Scotchlite reflection front and back of torso, side of legs. Mesh lining. YKK zippers. Stirrups at bottom of legs. Step-in front entry system. Full gusset opening at leg bottom. About $68.
with a suit like that and the boot covers you will not get wet

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
moeman said:
They sell one piece rain suits bro i have a teknic suit
that is great ( when i have it with me )

Teknic Tornado 1 Piece Rainsuits. Pvc backed nylon. Double stitched welded seams. Tri-level front rain flap. Elastic wrists, waist, ankles. Velcro closures at wrist. Zippered ankles. Corduroy-lined collar. 3M Scotchlite reflection front and back of torso, side of legs. Mesh lining. YKK zippers. Stirrups at bottom of legs. Step-in front entry system. Full gusset opening at leg bottom. About $68.
with a suit like that and the boot covers you will not get wet
Meh. My expensive helmet and gloves will still get wet. hehe. Also my bike will. It gets pampered in the garage and last time I talked to it before it got totaled it told me it didn't like the rain either because of rust.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i like my women wet not my bike but i have been caught several times in traffic in jersey not that much fun at all really

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TOMIMOTO said:
Meh. My expensive helmet and gloves will still get wet. hehe. Also my bike will. It gets pampered in the garage and last time I talked to it before it got totaled it told me it didn't like the rain either because of rust.
Ok if she do not like you cannot ride it
take my duckie instead :duckie: she loves Rain

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
I'm not doubting your point, but I honestly can't think of anything that can rust on the bike. Its all stainless, aluminum, magnesium, titanium and plastic right?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Riding in the rain on some twisties with 100FT+ Cliff drops
with no guardrail is a whole new level of riding. haha
It was dry on the other side of the mountain but not on the coast.

P.S.
Hose the whole bike down with water before putting it away!
Dirty water drying off on your fairings don't look so good.
I've got some brown and black drip stains that won't come out around my swingarm and battery tray.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
"When stopped at a red light, check the rear-view mirror for cars that could slide into you from behind."

^^That's my biggest worry when riding in the rain, it's not that I can't control my bike, it's the bitch on her cellphone behind me. Cagers are bad enough when visibility is 100%, so if I get caught in the rain I usually start heading home.

It is kinda nice in the Fl. summertime though to pass through a quick shower to cool you down abit.

Good post Moe.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TOMIMOTO said:
Sprockets, chain. ummm.... there are things that can rust I'm pretty sure.
If you just pull into your garage and leave the bike in a filthy state
then yes parts like that will rust and corrode but a good wash
& detail job after such a trip will always help keep these parts
and the whole bike in great shape

1 - 20 of 46 Posts