Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was catching up on some DVR races with all the rain the last few days and it came to mind about the all the items riders use, promote and are sponsored by..

Knowing alot of these items are custom built for each rider, but does the gear and such your fave rider uses influence what your buy?

Example:

Do you buy HJC Helmet because, Ben uses one ?

Do you Drink MONSTER or RED BULL because your Favorite Rider is sponsored by them?

Or do you just buy and Drink what you like and it doesn't matter what Josh, Blake, Nicky or Valentino use ?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
i don't really care what the pros use. when purchasing my gear and parts, i go with what works and is the right price. i have a few sponsors set up for next season, and will of course use and endorse their products. hazardous racing leather suits and gloves, vortex, woodcraft. other than that, i will promote/advertise for businesses that enter into a sponsorship agreement with me.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Haha I drink redbull because I'm an addict lol.

Maybe the question should be does your preferences influence who you like as a racer depending on their sponsors :dontknow:

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
I think people do pick up on what they endorse to an extent. If you have someone new to riding and they see a pro endorsing a product around the same time they are having questions on what oil to use of course some people are going to be like oh they use motul so it must be good. I do use it btw but not for that reason lol.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I get the best I can afford to... which is often at odds with what rider's sponsors are charging for their gear.

For instance, whilst I would really like to buy a shoei or nolan helmet I have an AVG cause it was less than half the price of the other two and even then at ~$500 it was still more than I would like to have paid.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Haha I drink redbull because I'm an addict lol.

Maybe the question should be does your preferences influence who you like as a racer depending on their sponsors :dontknow:
I'm a monster kind of man haha either way im sure they are some of the worst things we can put in our bodies... If you are interested I found a great substitute to energy drinks, its called zip fizz from costco, they got good flavor and great energy without that crash afterwards. its definity something to look into man I've had multiple doctors saying this stuff is terrible for our bodies

·
Registered
102 Posts
For protective gear, its pretty easy to see which companies you can trust for leathers. Watch a motogp rider go down at 150+mph and slide across the track and then get up and walk back to his bike. I trust those leathers. As others have said, get the best you can afford to. When it comes to safety, I would recommend not taking chances. I use an AGV helmet for $280. I crashed at thunderbolt last week at 120 mph. I walked away with just bruises. I'll be buying another AGV helmet.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
I'm a monster kind of man haha either way im sure they are some of the worst things we can put in our bodies... If you are interested I found a great substitute to energy drinks, its called zip fizz from costco, they got good flavor and great energy without that crash afterwards. its definity something to look into man I've had multiple doctors saying this stuff is terrible for our bodies
I agree its just so good haha.:shakehand
I drink the monster rehab lemonade too which is only 10 cal but still.

I tried a new one the other day that made me back off a bit. It was called redline xtreme and that stuff was no joke I thought I was going to fall out in the floor twitching like a junkie. Then I looked them up online and found out you should only drink half at a time :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
what they wear only makes me do rsearch on the item, If I cant get the quality or workmanship they have, I at least know what to look for in gear,

Most suits and protective gear is made for the rider, with technologies that are not available to the public, but if you can find out what technology they are using you can get something custom made or at least come close to it,

I dont drink their drinks or eat their foods, I look at their gear, their riding characteristics and then I do research to see why they wear that or why they ride like that, then I experiment,

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
To a certain extent yes. I try to support products and companies which support our sport. It's not the most important factor in any buying decision, but it is a factor. I'd argue that the super sport category exists because of racing. If Honda stopped racing, within a couple of years I bet you'd see a large defection to other brands. Kawasaki for instance is rebuilding their image and credibility with World SS and SBK results.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yes when I'm new to something I won't lie I usually think what the best guys use is the best but when you get into the sport you learn to know better... And I usuall try to buy some of that stuff or I at least start my research from there...

Think about a sport your new to or know nothing about pretend you want to get into it tomorrow what would you look at to buy the best... The pros...

·
Registered
303 Posts
The products they endorse like drinks, gas or casual clothing dont! What does influence me though is the protective gear they wear. You can see the riders use and in the unfortunate incident test them and still walk away unscathed or minimally hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts