• None - we shouldn't do this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been thinking that we should find a charitable cause and help make a difference. There's so many worthwhile causes that it's hard to pick one so I narrowed it down to two and thought we could put it to a vote and ask what you think. We will pool resources with members of 1000RR.net to help do the most good.

The Roadracing World Action Fund - The Air Fence Fund
http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/mission/

The Pediatric Brain Tumour Foundation
http://www.ride4kids.org/

Have a look at both pages and cast a vote. Your vote will determine which way we go.

V

·
0 Posts
I like the pediatric tumor fund.. I think more kids die from that then people do at the race track. The kids should at least get a chance to live life where as these guys on the track have already lexperienced life and are definitely priviledged enough in life since they have the opportunity to be having fun racing. I think one is definitely more important than the other when you look at the big picture....

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
The Pediatric Brain Tumour Foundation

That way kids can live long enough to be racers! ;-)

Besides a kid has yet to live his/her life and go through life experiences. Most racers have been around the block a few times. That's the way I look at it.

V

·
0 Posts
Just an FYI.. first one that votes for the "None - we shouldn't do this" option is going to be banned. Isnt that right JB. ;-)

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
multi-question response.

1. I think so much my ears bleed sometimes, or I have a brain weavel...
2. personalponies - i was a little leary to click on that link at first. I've seen some videos that... uhhh never mind.
3. ban? what? me banning people?? come on...

They're both great causes and either way we go is a great thing.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Both of these are great charities but I think since Honda is already a contributing member to the Pediatric Brain Tumour Foundation that we should contribute to the Roadracing World Action Fund - The Air Fence Fund. This fence could save the life of a rider that we all know. In fact, it may have already. What a fantastic product! :bounce:

Tim

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I voted for the pediatric tumor fund. I think anything to benifet our kids is great.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've got an idea, why don't you donate some $$$$ to a poor military guys like meself. :mrgreen:

Or the air fence fund sounds good to me.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Pediatric anything is better than the Roadracing Airfence Fund.

Roadracing is inherently dangerous. Those that participate in the sport do so with an open mind to the risks involved. It should be up to Roadracers themselves to put pressure in the tracks and event organizers that they participate with to make the tracks as safe as possible/comfortable. Nobody forces you onto the track and makes you run it.

Kids, however, hardly if ever get to make decisions for themselves. They are at the mercy of peoples benevolence. If a kid gets lung cancer or asthma from being around parents that smoke, that's no fault of his own. If a kid gets a brain tumor, that's defintely not his fault. If a kid gets AIDS, that's not his fault, it was probably given to him by his mother through birth. The list goes on and on and on.

What's worse is that kids that suffer are the ones that need the money. Sure, if someone crashes into a wall their family is going to be in a world of hurt and finances are going to be rough--but, honestly, accidental death, health, and life insurance offset these costs. Not to mention that roadracers generally have excess disposable income. Roadracing is a leisure activity--a luxury that even I can't afford. Kids, however, are at the mercy of their parents financial situation. The kids that are the sickest come from the families that are the poorest and thus have let the problems progress to the point of critical necessity due to financial burden.

So yeah, I say we donate to Pediatric AIDS because I feel that our dollars make the biggest impact. Brain tumors are hit and miss. You can throw tens of thousands of dollars at a brain tumor, and the kid may just very well die. You may make a child more comfortable while she is dying, and you may offset the financial damage to the family, but sadly, it's still hit and miss. However, AIDS treatment is readily available. AIDS treatment can significantly extend and improve the quality of life for a child. AIDS treatment can also be had at a reasonable price. In fact, Pediatric AIDS can be prevented--suppressive medicine used at birth on the mother will prevent transfer to the child. So yeah, we may be able to help one child, with a hit or miss success rate...or we can help a great many enjoy as much of their lives as possible by supporting a Pediatric AIDS foundation.

=)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I think this should be an easy decision. Those who race or would like to, are conciously accepting the risk (me included). No I don't want to see racers get hurt and yes an air fence would go a long way to make it much safer. However, this is still a concious choice. Children who develop or who are born with brain tumors had no choice in this matter. It is simply a tragic hand which they were dealt. They suffer through no fault or choice of their own. IMHO, this shouldn't even be a vote. The choice is simple.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i am for the brain tumor deal!!!! give the kids a chance to ride motorcycles someday!!! Kids will always want to have a motorcycle, God put it in our genes.

Hey JB! I THINK!!! that we should try and see if we could get a kids motorcyle ride scheduled an awesome way to raise some money too.

and secondly i am not sure about insurance liabuilitys, but go to some childrens hospitals and give some kids who are sick a ride on a motorcycle around the parking lot "coned off of course" and then maybe some pictures of them on the bikes!!! I dunno i think i like kids way too much!!!

Tim

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
I've got an idea, why don't you donate some $$$$ to a poor military guys like meself. :mrgreen:
lol... i'm with you.
seriously though, i like the pediatric tumor fund.

or another suggestion is for the autism foundation. whenever the CFC (combined federal campaign) comes around i donate to them or to special olympics. my brother is autistic and i know it goes to help out a great cause - both foundations - it's a blast to watch the Special O games. just on a side note, i can brag for a minute, my brother's baseball team won a gold last year in hawaii! it was great fun to watch and support!

·
Registered
638 Posts
May I suggest that we include AMA on the list? A lot of us ride on the street most of the time, and here's a brief summary of what the AMA does for us:

"The AMA is the premier defender of motorcyclists’ rights in the United States. The work of the AMA Government Relations Department extends beyond AMA members to all motorcyclists. Staff members ferret out bad laws and anti-motorcycling discrimination at the local, state, federal and corporate level. When critical issues and problems arise, education, common sense, political clout and, when necessary, compromise are used to make changes beneficial to all riders -- even those who aren't AMA members."

http://www.amadirectlink.com/whatis/index.asp

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
While I respect what the AMA is trying to do...

I feel that they do not do well enough with the resources available to them to warrant MORE money from us.

For instance, the AMA spends a GREAT deal of time trying to repeal helmet laws across the country. It can be argued that helmet laws do not adversely affect motorcycling as a pasttime or sport. If you feel that helmet laws encroach on your personal liberties, then join the Libertarian Party and use their resources to lobby your legislature--not the AMA.

The AMA should be doing things that benefit ALL motorcycle riders...including those like me who want to wear a helmet and want everyone else to do so also (because everytime someone gets injured on a motorcycle, we all suffer as a result of higher insurance rates), like mandated response personnel training that includes motorcycle accident management (Not all EMTs are trained or have the tools to cut off motorcycle helmets rather than tug them off)...or campaigns to make the rest of the drivers out there aware that it is not illegal to ride in the car pool (HOV) lanes or to lane split (in applicable states). The AMA should be pressuring our state legislatures to have our local police treat our stolen motorcycles like actual stolen vehicles rather than just toys that got stolen.

When it comes down to it, it is unfortunate that the AMA is the only national lobbying organization with enough weight to pressure our governments in the name of motorcyclists.

·
Registered
43 Posts
so how do we contribute? im a little knew to the site. i have a bike club that is very eager to serve its community as well as anything else we can do to help.

My AIM sn is : bom9squad
yahoo messenger: kevinpoe2000

someone clue me in on how to help....we are down.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rrYOUcrazy said:
so how do we contribute? im a little knew to the site. i have a bike club that is very eager to serve its community as well as anything else we can do to help.

My AIM sn is : bom9squad
yahoo messenger: kevinpoe2000

someone clue me in on how to help....we are down.
Deciding which charity ws the first step. Next step will be organizing the fundraising - we're working on that now and will have it ready soon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
a really cool site you can go to if you want to help people out is:

www.lrsenterprises.org this lady is selling prints online, and the profits go towards buying stuff our soldiers need while overseas.

the link is down right now, but it should be back up shortly

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both organizations do great things and it looks like we have a clear choice here. The next week or so I'll be putting it all together and making an announcement. Let's do some good for the kids.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts