Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the biggest squid I'd ever seen yesterday at the track.

A Novice rider crashed at the track, ground a hole in his case cover and strung oil from the very inside all the way to the outside of turn 1. Ok, that happens, that's not the worst part.

I'm sitting and waiting for my next session when I heard this guy asking me for help loading his bike. Once I got over to him, I saw that he was the one that oiled the track. I'm looking at his bike and it is a big pile of crap. The wheels were so dirty, they probably had to add wheel weights to balance out the dirt. Also I noticed that he was too lasy to take off his fairings to paint them and there was paint sprayed on the frame. It looked like something he found at the junk yard, turned out to be an '03 R6. Wow, this bike was not taken care of at all.

That is bad enough but here's the icing on the cake. He's telling me that his low side turned into a high side and his tires were not warm yet. Then he told me that he just pulled out on the track and crashed in the first turn. He is a novice rider with full slicks and no tire warmers. I looked at his tires and they have never been hot. These thigs were smooth as could be. Then he tells me that he needs to get his bike fixed before he goes to some race in a month or so. WHATEVER DUDE. Go kill yourself, if your lack of tire knowledge doesn't kill you, I'm sure that a wheel or swingarm falling off might.

I wanted to help this guy out but he is soooo far off the path, I didn't think I had enough time to even get him pointed in the right direction much less moving closer to the right path.

Anyway for all you people out there, don't be this guy.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
that wasnt oil he left on the track, he simply got scared and inked himself.
poor squid.
maybe he didnt paint the bike? maybe it was stolen. i see a lot of stolen bikes painted in that mannor

·
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
23,598 Posts
that wasnt oil he left on the track, he simply got scared and inked himself.
poor squid.
maybe he didnt paint the bike? maybe it was stolen. i see a lot of stolen bikes painted in that mannor
Bwahahaha, inked himself :icon_lol:
I'm sure every track day has them, first timers turned Valentino Rossi with just the throw of the leg on the bike. But this is by far the worst I ever heard of, lap 1 turn 1? Didn't the track day have first timers class before hand? Or did he just ignore or skip it? Either way he's Kalamari

G

·
man, that guy was pretty dumb! everyone knows when you got slicks and no tire warmer, the proper way to warm them is doing burnouts and swerving side to side!
damn squids these days!
I thought you're supposed to put the bike on the stand, put it in gear, and hold a lighter to the wheel.

·
Moto GSpizzle
7,778 Posts
I thought you're supposed to put the bike on the stand, put it in gear, and hold a lighter to the wheel.
dude that takes way to long. took me close to 15 minutes for one tire!
using one of those small hand held torches works way better...

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
you know there is the chance that someone told him that to ride on the track he needed race tires. they just neglected the part about warmers. i see it all the time on these forums. some guy comes out and says he is doing his first track day and someone trying to be helpful tells him to get slicks.

at the least he could have used dot race tires like pilot races. those you can hit hard right out the gate without warmers.

of course more than likely he just got some race take offs from someone and was trying to show off.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Not knowing the guy's background or situation with money, I can't rip on him for that at all. The guy had the balls to put his bike on the track...that counts for something. He will learn and hopefully not the hard way. I have WAY more respect for the guy who is poor but finds a way to get a bike and hits it hard on the track rather than the street....in comparison to the noob who goes out and buys a new bike for sticker and crashes it straight off the lot or squiding out on the streets with his stupid stunts.

I get the part of him bringing his pile onto a track that other's ride and nobody needing his oil everywhere...yada yada. However, the track workers are responsible for that and checking over his bike.

And don't foget brothers....Bert Munro..his Indian was a pile but got the job done! He shaped his tires with a pocket knife and filled in the weather cracks with shoe polish.

Some of these people you can learn random things from. Ask me to ride next to people like that though...NO.:five:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's not the fact of crashing or anything else done that makes this bad, It's the way that he talked like he was a pro. ( "I have to get my bike ready for this really important race" )You can go home and talk that crap to your friends and they might buy it, but don't try it at the track.

Sure go to the track and learn, it's the best place to do that. Don't go there as a beginner and act like you know everything.

If he would have said anything like " i don't know what happened" or simply, "I screwed up" I'd sat him down and told him everything I know. At least that would be something. (I've learned a little since I started) But everything out of his mouth was boastful. He needs an attitude adjustment before he will listen and learn anything from anyone. I didn't have time for that.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Should have told him to always weave back in forth in traffic heavily before getting to the track to warm up the tires. I sometimes even do that in my car before getting on the highway. Safety is # 1!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts