Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
thats fine, becuase you arent leaving it in gear to "engine brake" which we all know creates excess wear on the engine and transmission

its as if you were just holding the clutch coming to the stop....

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
toekneeg said:
thats fine, becuase you arent leaving it in gear to "engine brake" which we all know creates excess wear on the engine and transmission

So how do you stop, do you just pull the clutch in when ever you're coming to a stop? How do you go into corners without downshiftin? If you match the rpms by blipping how does that harm your engine? Its buttery smooth when I downshift. These engines were made to be downshifted as far as Im concerned, how else would you race with them? Besides what fun is holding in the clutch to roll to a stop?

Oh and to answer the original question, no just holding the clutch in and going to nuetral won't harm anything, but its not as fun as downshifting.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yea I was wondering the same thing, I sometimes down shift hard, coming into a corner. I dont skip gears or anything (like going from 5th to 2nd) but it just feels rough. Any other input on this topic would very much appreciated, Am I efin up my engine?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The gear boxes are built to be loaded as you downshift. Or like Ceph said I am in trouble. ;)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
as far as i'm concerned, Honda over engineered this bike. they did that for a reason. if you wanna downshift 3 gears into a turn and back it in, so be it. it's got a rev limiter on it so you don't get carried away too much. you wanna race it every weekend, it's gonna hold up. This is a street legal race bike, that lasts. enjoy it while you can. Nothing short of it hitting the pavement, or you purposely abusing it, is gonna have ill effects on it. That's what it is made for.

Hell, ask Relf how long he's been beating on his F2. he's still riding and racing that thing.

if you wanna clutch it and go to neutral to stop, your not going to hurt anything at all.
just my $.02

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I downshift and use engine braking all the way every time, in conjunction with the brakes. Except 1st, which I won't downshift to, I only use that gear for starting from a stop. Blip throttle and match engine speed, and it's all good.

Be careful not to clutch in and go straight to a low gear (2nd of 1st) at highway cruising speed, that loud whacking noise is your tranny taking a beating. There's an article about it in Cycle World, let me try and find it, you really can mess up your tranny that way. Instead, if you want to clutch in and not use engine braking, downshift one gear at a time as you approach the speed you would be normally traveling in that gear. For example, down to 5th gear at speeds 59-50mph, down to 4th at 49-40, 3rd at 39-30, etc... Just my .02.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
ENGINE BRAKING WILL NOT HURT YOUR BIKE! It's jsut using the compressioon or your motor to slow the bike. U ever heard of blipping the throttle while downshifting. When I ride I don't use the brakes as much as I do the engine to slow.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ok, just got done browsing Cycle World's web site, (which in my opinion sucks) which doesn't say anything about the tranny thing I was talking about. After thinking about it though, I'm pretty sure that piece was in the "ask a tech question" section (or whatever it's called) and was pertaining to cruiser type bikes, not sportbikes like ours.
Anyone else remember seeing this? I'm pretty sure I've all ready thrown this issue in the garbage too.

·
0 Posts
toekneeg said:

I disagree. Can anyone change the "u suck at the internet" pic. to say "u suck at the rr"?

N/M i got it.. LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
ummm... My rr only lets me downshift 2 gears at a time (or am I on drugs). I let the clutch out just a little if I need to downshift more than 2 at a time. But, I always try to downshift, this only happens in panic stops.

·
Registered
320 Posts
LonelyRR said:
I'm with you:surprised
+1, downshift all the time; and on the car (wifes S2000), how else am I gonna drift?; shoot, someone should have told me not to do that, hahha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EsotericRR said:
if your not downshifting you should just wait till the automatic sport bike comes out so you wont have to downshift at all lol
Hell ya, Vespas have automatics don't they? hehe

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My $.02.... I'm not sure on the bike, but as far as a car goes you'll soon either break your timing chain/belt or stretch it out so badly the car will jump time. I was a teenager not too many years ago and I had a bad problem with visiting the family mechanic too many times...... The upside is, it tought me how to work on stuff.:burnout:

·
Registered
892 Posts
what in the world are half you talking about. you can go from 6th to first with the clutch disengaged and nothing happens. you can go from 5th to 2nd and engage the clutch in the time it takes you to slow down from 5th to 2nd. you can back that snitch in, or you can ride it like a little girl. can i go from 6th to neutral.... my bike only lets me DShift 2 gears at a time. bull friggin schnit. if you have to ask the question, you're no where near hurting the bike. ride the bike. no no... just ride it. stop..... just ride the bike.

why in this world, would going from 6th to neutral with the clutch disengaged have ANY adverse effect on any part of the bike. you're saving, drivetrain every time you do it that way. can you shift from 6th to neutral in a car? yes. what does it hurt? nothing. there's you answer.

you should have gotten an ex250. please don't kill yourself

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
Ha, dang i think everyone was trying to be gentle about it. there went that i dea tho i guess.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts