Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got rid of my gixxer for an 04 doubleR, and when I down shift, as soon as I let go of the clutch, the rear wheel skids for a split second. this is the same bike I was taught to ride on bout 2 years ago and didnt do it then. does anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
none of the 600rr's have slipper clutches.. so unless you rev match its gonna do that in the higher rpms. And the only explanation I have for the other bike not doing it is either it had an aftermarket slipper in it, or a beat to **** clutch.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Make sure you give it a little throttle when you let go of the clutch, make sure the clutch is properly adjusted, and make sure the chain tension is right.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Make sure you give it a little throttle when you let go of the clutch, make sure the clutch is properly adjusted, and make sure the chain tension is right.
+1

if you're having a bit of trouble up-shifting, or if it feels like you have to put more effort than needed, then maybe the pinch clamp for the shift-rod may be off by a tooth.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Also check that the rear tire is not over inflated as this will also contribute to rear wheel slippage.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You really should learn to blip the throttle. It not only is better for more stable downshifts, but it also sounds cool! I can't believe I rode around for over a year with no idea how to do it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When street riding, I don't downshift till my motor is like 3K RPMs. So even if I do a really slow downshift where my engine slows all the way to idle, Letting the clutch out doesn't caust the tire to skid. Also, I never use first gear to engine brake. I'll shift down to second then to neutral and use the brakes only from there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
blimp/revmatch when you downshift. When you're under heavy braking and downshifting at the same time you're still going to get the chatter/lockup. I see it all the time at the track when the fast guys are going to a hairpin turn after a long straight you can see the rear get slippery before they turn the bike in. pretty badass looking, but probably scary if you're not used to it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hehe... rev-match it man. Then after you get good (should take 5 minutes.) Learn to downshift while braking AND rev-matching! Very useful skills to learn!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I usually don't rev match unless I'm above 7K rpms. Anything below that, and I just ease the clutch out. Of course..this might entirely change once I have the opportunity to take her to the track...

One thing I have noticed is how much less you need to blip on this bike vs a vtwin. It's amazing how little engine braking there is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts