Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, soooo how do you guys match revs while downshifting under braking??? I have trouble goosing the gas a little while maintaining constant braking pressure on the lever. Hand usually slips as I try and turn the throttle and I'm just wondering if there is a different way I should be doing it...

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
i use one finger on the brake so its pretty easy for me, but honestly most times i let off, blip downshift, then brake again.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I use only one or two fingers on the front brak,depending on how hard I am stopping,but I always match revs when downshifting.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. I use two fingers on the brake and can grip and blip the throttle using the ring and pinky finger without affecting my fingers on the brake much.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It just takes practice. I use two fingers on the front brake, and that works OK.

But, every time I switch to a different bike, it takes a while to get the feel for the new bike.

You can practice it in the garage...work on blipping the throttle while keeping the same pressure on the brake.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i just dont brake.... i downshift around 6k and if it dosnt stop in time i start to brake...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Practice and make sure your brake lever is set in a position where it'll work best..

-tawheed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Given that this was posted in the racing and trackday forum, I don't think engine braking is going to achieve the performance he wants :icon_lol: Nor is downshifting at 6k.

That said, unfortunately there is no trick to it. A good adjustable aftermarket lever helps, so does using one finger... but personally I prefer to use two. Really all you can do is practice practice practice.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Three different techniques I use, depending on which bike I'm on.

1. Slipper clutch. :) (Only the race bike has it. I don't ride aggressively on the street anyway, so my street bike doesn't need it.)

2. Blipping. As others have said, practice practice practice. But I have started weaning myself out of this habit in favor of......

3. Feathering the clutch. Don't treat the clutch as an on-off switch. You can let it out slowly, modulating its re-engagement point as your engine speed catches up to your tire speed. Try it. It leaves you with one less control (throttle) to worry about, allowing your right hand to concentrate on just the braking.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
scotch2 said:
Given that this was posted in the racing and trackday forum, I don't think engine braking is going to achieve the performance he wants :icon_lol: Nor is downshifting at 6k.

That said, unfortunately there is no trick to it. A good adjustable aftermarket lever helps, so does using one finger... but personally I prefer to use two. Really all you can do is practice practice practice.
Well keep in mind that track days are not race days so engine braking is very applicable here. In fact, I was engine braking all day yesterday at Jennings.

With that in mind, I agree with most everyone else here. Practice. I use one finger (Ring finger), 2 if I'm in really deep, and blip the throttle with my index finger and thumb. It helps to relax the rest of your fingers so you can keep consistant pressure on the lever while you're blipping.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i was THINKING about feathering... guess you call it the manual slipper, but I really just wanted to get good at blipping too... thanks guys.

·
19,904 Posts
i use the booger finger, its always covering it.
heres how i got it bro.

Try doing it without the brake at first.
just blip clutch downshift... once you have that, reach out and pull on that lever a little AND THEN SLOWLY, work on increasing brake pressure.

·
Woman Can Handle A LOT of Beef
2,009 Posts
Did you mean the booger finger? Or the finger you us to molest lil boys? ;-)

snikwad said:
i use the bugger finger, its always covering it.
heres how i got it bro.

Try doing it without the brake at first.
just blip clutch downshift... once you have that, reach out and pull on that lever a little AND THEN SLOWLY, work on increasing brake pressure.

·
19,904 Posts
senedane said:
Did you mean the booger finger? Or the finger you us to molest lil boys? ;-)
oh hell no.
do you see micheals nose in my avatar.
yeah, exactly.
I meant the booger finger.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys... riding this summer and fall i got it to the point where I can brake moderately while blippin' but i'm not real consistent... my brake lever is set on 4 right now though so maybe I'll try moving it a little to bring it in closer... I usually use two fingers on the level, two on the throttle...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts