Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I filled my tank because you guys say the tank will rust if I don't. I just randomly oened the tank to smell if the gas had gone bad yet, and there is not much gas in the tank from what I can tell. How bad is this? Should I go to get some gas and refill it?

My bike is almost finished being fixed n stuff and now I am really worried about having to replace my tank or something like that!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no the cap is on and i filled it like 3-4 months ago maybe. it is in my florida car port. 90 degrees every day. What should I do?

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
^^Haha. Seriously. Hydrocarbon takes a while to evap. Not only that, did you leave the cap open?
Actually, there are a lot of factors which will determine how fast a liquid will evaporate (concentration, concentration of foreign elements in the air, airflow, humidity, pressure and temperature and so on). Any space where fuel is stored (which would be the gas tank) where gasoline vapor consumes any volume not already consumed by the fuel itself will have zero evaporation rate. Now, because there is airflow in the tank (caused by the overflow hose), however minimal it really is, temperature fluctuations will have the greatest effect on evaporation rate.

Anyway, who told you that your tank will rust? Are you pouring water into your tank? The amount of condensation that forms from temperature fluctuations should be minimal and shouldn't affect your tank in any way. I highly doubt your bike will be out of commission long enough for any sort of condensation within your tank to cause a negative effect, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Actually, there are a lot of factors which will determine how fast a liquid will evaporate (concentration, concentration of foreign elements in the air, airflow, humidity, pressure and temperature and so on). Any space where fuel is stored (which would be the gas tank) where gasoline vapor consumes any volume not already consumed by the fuel itself will have zero evaporation rate. Now, because there is airflow in the tank (caused by the overflow hose), however minimal it really is, temperature fluctuations will have the greatest effect on evaporation rate.

Anyway, who told you that your tank will rust? Are you pouring water into your tank? The amount of condensation that forms from temperature fluctuations should be minimal and shouldn't affect your tank in any way. I highly doubt your bike will be out of commission long enough for any sort of condensation within your tank to cause a negative effect, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.
blah, ADHD and your responses, just dont mix!:all_cohol

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
blah, ADHD and your responses, just dont mix!:all_cohol
I'm just saying, there's no need for him to worry. If he had a fuel leak then he would be able to smell it. It's just evaporation. Unless he clamps his overflow hose and eliminates airflow in his tank then he's going to get evaporation.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I'm just saying, there's no need for him to worry. If he had a fuel leak then he would be able to smell it. It's just evaporation. Unless he clamps his overflow hose and eliminates airflow in his tank then he's going to get evaporation.
Much better :toothy4:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Fill it up. Unless you can smell fuel or see it leaking, I don't think you have any problems.

And I said think. If your bike blows up and you land in the top of a large tree and live... don't call your lawyer and try to sue me.

Disclaimer: Dcope17 is a total idiot. Rarely does anything he says make sence. However, in the rare case that it does... do not listen to him.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fill it up. Unless you can smell fuel or see it leaking, I don't think you have any problems.

And I said think. If your bike blows up and you land in the top of a large tree and live... don't call your lawyer and try to sue me.

Disclaimer: Dcope17 is a total idiot. Rarely does anything he says make sence. However, in the rare case that it does... do not listen to him.
hahaha

ok thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to make sure that everything would be ok. I will fill it back up tomorrow.

Do you think I will need a new fuel pump now??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts