Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2007 CBR600RR
Discussion Starter #1
While putting on some tank grippers on my bike today I accidentally rolled over a nail so I need a new front tire. I was going to replace the rear too as this'll be my first fresh set of tires since owning my bike. I live in PA and don't ride when the leaves start falling for safety purposes (don't want to slip and fall). I'm a college student living next to campus so when I ride it's for enjoyment so I ride with a little more enthusiasm than most, my friends can't keep up 馃槣. I don't plan on going to a track day anytime soon as expenses and scheduling won't allow it. I was considering the S22's or DR III's mainly for the performance factor on how I like to ride. However, I am starting to lean toward the Angel GT's or PR 5's due to the longevity and the fact that I hear you don't necessarily need top-performing tires for the street. I don't plan on riding much in the rain but would like the ability if I get caught while out. If anybody could leave some input, their experience riding on any of these tires, or help rationalize a deciding factor that would be much appreciated!

Also, I want to show off my baby as I've been working on her all summer :)

Attachments

Registered
I鈥檝e had the Rosso III鈥檚 on my Ducati Supersport as they are OEM tires. They stick great, have a pretty good life but the OEM ones wore funny to me so I just replaced them with Pilot Power 5s (not the Roads) and LOVE them even more than the DRs. I鈥檇 run them again, however.

Running the Pilot Road 5s on my Triumph Sprint GT and I can corner as hard as I dare do and they鈥檝e never let me down. GREAT all weather, all purpose tire I would highly recommend.

I鈥檝e not run the S22s but did run the S21s on my old CBR600RR and really like Bridgestone sport tires, to can not go wrong with them.

Basically any of the 3 (well 4 if you count the Power 5s) will work great for you. I recommend road or sport touring tires unless you plan to change them every 2 or 3 years or are VERY close to being a track star because they simply work in all seasons and last. To me, the Rosso IIIs are the best compromise of sport and road style tires.

Registered
I've currently got Pilot Road 3s; they're considerably cheaper than Road 5s, and will perform adequately in rain. I've had issues with getting a little bit of sliding on wet tar snakes; I'm not sure if that would also happen with Road 5s. I've used Angel STs, and was mostly happy with them, except that the tread life was a bit short (cords on the rear by 4500mi). I also had one that blew out in a turn, so, there's that. I go through 2-2.5 sets of tires/year, so longevity is important to me.

I've taken the chicken strips off my PR3s on roads with no loss of grip; I suspect that they'd be fine for at least novice or beginner track days.

Registered
Update: I'm down to zero tread on the sides of my front tire. Like, literally nothing but rubber on the right. I still have maybe 1000 miles on the rear. This is the first time I've lost a front tire before a rear; I think it's because I was going into corners 1000% wrong (yay, now I have to unlearn bad habits... :( ), and burned through the tread braking (!!!). So, if they didn't slide out on me when I was braking hard (and incorrectly!) in corners, hard enough to cut the tread life significantly short, I'm gonna say that grip is probably sufficient for most road riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts