Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From home to work I take I95 South. I’m only on there for a 6 mile stretch (my total commute to work is 8 minutes, envy me) and I work in a complex with a post office, a Pepsi distro site, and a UPS depot. This makes for many trucks going to the same place that I am in the morning. I usually dip behind one and stay behind them. Less wind on me, cool! I move off to the side once or twice and wave / flash my brights to let them know I’m still there. They don’t seem to mind. Is this looked upon as bad etiquette? I don’t want to piss anyone off while I ride but I do want to take advantage of the vehicles around me in rush hour traffic if I can. On long trips I tend to do the same thing. Thoughts?

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
As long as you can see their mirrors they can see you....I wouldn't call it bad etiquette. Making a habit of riding behind trucks is what i would call stupid!!!!

you just said your total commute to work is 8 minutes dude...how much of a hurry do you need to be in that you would risk your azz from getting creamed??

·
Registered
907 Posts
everything but the flashing of your lights seems alright to me, if i seen a bike behind me flashing their lights i would think something was wrong or they were trying to get around me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
apbt600rr said:
everything but the flashing of your lights seems alright to me, if i seen a bike behind me flashing their lights i would think something was wrong or they were trying to get around me.
Yah I agree, I'd 2-finger wave or something before flashing lights..

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spank - I'm in no rush at all that's why I sit behind the trucks doing 50. I do see your point about getting splattered across the interstate though so +1 to you.

The flashing lights thing is a good call as well. I'll cease to do that. +1 there too.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Seems like a bad idea to me. To be close enough to them to benefit from the drafting effect you're much too close to avoid something they drive over. If nothing else the trucks in front of you are sandblasting your bike with road dirt they kick up. I'd also be concerned about being that close when they lose a cap. They're a reason you see those laying all over the roads, they come off a lot.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
GA_RR said:
Seems like a bad idea to me. To be close enough to them to benefit from the drafting effect you're much too close to avoid something they drive over. If nothing else the trucks in front of you are sandblasting your bike with road dirt they kick up. I'd also be concerned about being that close when they lose a cap. They're a reason you see those laying all over the roads, they come off a lot.
AMEN!!! This is a very bad idea! However, I see riders making this mistake all the time. They get right behind a huge truck with no way to see around them and never consider what the truck my straddle. (I.e. bricks, 2x4's, dead animals, semi-trucks tires, ladders) Have you ever seen what an old semi-truck tire can do to a car at 65mph?

I had my 99 Gran Prix for less than 2 weeks when I was following behind a van on the interstate. He ran over the tire and threw it up in the air. The tire hit my car with an unbelievable amount of force!! Smashed the hood, the front grille, and the right quarter panel. $3,000 worth of damage. I don't want to think what would have happened if I would have been on the bike.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've also seen an inside dual tire expode on a semi's trailer doing about 70 on the interstate. Last thing I would want to be on is a motorcycle right behind it.

Food for thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts