Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have an '06 and it was geared pretty low so the acceleration rate was very high. When I got the bike I couldn't help picking on my cousin that has a 502 Camaro that pulls the front wheels on acceleration. I told him my bike would smoke his car in an effort to goad him into racing me but he would not do it.

Fast forward a few years and they are racing that car and another wheel puller at the quarter miles. His son is older now and has stated that my bike has no chance. I told them I saw a Youtube video from a +/- 50year-old ex drag bike racer that got a 9.x with nothing but a gear change and a great launch.

I was ridiculed by the both of them, mercilessly! Anyway, to make a long story short, we have to go to the 1/4 miles to prove how much moore hair on my chest I have then he does. So....question....how do I keep the front from flipping on me in a 1st gear launch? Do I need a wheelie bar or longer swing arm? I would prefer wheelie bar. I have lots of gear sets so that's no issue.

Where to get either? Family pride is on the line and I know I can do a smack down. Just need to get some gear I'm thinking.....

PS> Cousin runs 10.2 or something like that but I need a 9 to really smack him down once and for all !

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,789 Posts
You're going to lose. Hate to say it but bikes aren't faster than cars. Lol. In a 1/2 mile race maybe you'd win, but not 1/4. You wouldn't win in a standing mile either.

If you look at trap speeds between the two it's insane. Bikes cross the line in the same time going way faster because they are SO slow out of the gate.

short gears won't make you faster in the 1/4. You need to gear it taller.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gearing taller no problem....but....I did see a an ex-racer pull a 9.x with a box stock bike with gearing. Now, granted, he used to be a bike drag racer. So I'm counting on my deficits being the issue. My point is, if I buy a wheelie bar or longer swing arm I should be able to improve the hole shot. I've seen them with them before but where do they come from?

BTW, the factory time on the quarter for my bike is 10.7 @ 128.55
Cousins car is somewhere in the 10's probably lower 10's.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,789 Posts
If you see someone running 9s on a 600 they have a bike totally optimized for drag (read stock, with setup... Gearing, strapped forks etc) with a pro rider at sea level.

Amateur riders are in the 11s on 600s.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
You could buy on of those silly swingarm extension sets (popular in SE region of USA)....but you may have to eat crow on this.....not an easy challenge...

wibbly's right.....IIRC someone OTF did a bunch of 1/4 mile focused work on his bike and he got into the low 10's, thought he could do better...and get into 9's?

maybe...use search OTF, there's a 1/4 mile thread somewhere?!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thinking. I did come across a post where a guy was getting mid to high 9's with just an extended swing-arm. This is what I would expect with a good rider. It would be so much easier if cousin would just join me on freeway and do it all as it stands (no swing arm for me and no slicks for him). But...he's too chicken.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,789 Posts
You'll get smoked on the freeway.

After about 120mph the 600 is going nowhere vs a 10 second car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the reason the owner won't do it is because he knows he'll get smoked without slicks. He knows he can't get it hooked up and will loose. This is why they are pushing me to the track.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one is talking about a rolling start but he felt that was also a recipe for disaster for him. Apparently without his slicks he's certain he will loose. This is why he is pushing racing at the drags.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I BELIEVE IN YOU! Get the longest friggin swing arm you can. Only use slicks. Strap a turbo to her. Fast for a week. Replace everything with CF. You'll be good to go.
I've seen several posts and videos on the net now of the 600 doing 9's with nothing other then strapping the front forks and a longer swing arm. Of course, that's with a good rider that can launch.

Nice to know the bike can do it without turning it into a major headache.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it was quite a hassle to find them. But there was one user on this site that posted 9's on his with just the longer swing arm. That one should be easy to find. But you can also dig through youtube. Unfortunately there's lots of stock bikes with novice riders. Seems they get 11's with the odd 10's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts