Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in colorado (high elevation).. I ran completely stock...

12.06 was my best time at .06 R/T. this seems a litttle slow.
and with a slip on
I only broke 11.6. What am i doing wrong? stocks should be almost in the 10's.

i launch around 5 or 7. feather the clutch a bit and then shift at red line without hitting the rev limiter.

any ideas? or experience before i go down a tooth?!

thx

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Considering the elevation your at...that sounds about right.Your losing as much as 15% of your rated sea level HP up that high. Unless you put a turbo on that bad boy....that's the price your gonna pay for good ol fashion mountain living.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My teamate went 11.1 on an 06 cbr 600 at this elevation.. With the power differance you should be able to do a 10 here. How much do you weight? For the races I launch at 11000. Try that.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Going down a tooth in the front might help a bit but going down in the rear will make it worse. Also I am no drag strip genious but shifting at the rev limiter might be a problem to. From my understanding the peak HP on the 07-08 are around 11,500 yo may want to shift a bit earlier to keep you rpms in your most powerfull area. Elevation is going to be your biggest problem however. Top fuel dragsters at sea level can run around 330MPH in 1/4 mile. In Colorado's drag strip it around 300mph or just a bit under, elevation is huge.

I live in colorado (high elevation).. I ran completely stock...

12.06 was my best time at .06 R/T. this seems a litttle slow.
and with a slip on
I only broke 11.6. What am i doing wrong? stocks should be almost in the 10's.

i launch around 5 or 7. feather the clutch a bit and then shift at red line without hitting the rev limiter.

any ideas? or experience before i go down a tooth?!

thx

·
Registered
939 Posts
you might wanna try around 9000 rpm, its closer to peak torque, then bounce it up, clutchless, off the rev limiter. I aint no expert though..just my 2c. sounds like fun trying.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Work on the launch, your reaction time can be sweet but if your 60ft stinks you're screwed. You need to be well under 2sec 60ft (1.6-1.7ish). I ran an 11.2 on my 03 R6(which is notably slower than yours) when every other 600 there could barely break into 11s. I skipped the burnout & let the rear just spin a bit off the line (be careful) & it helped keep the engine from bogging down. If you let the engine bog down you blew it. It can be tricky but your 60ft time is the most important thing. To really get a good start you're either burning the **** out of your clutch or your tire, pick one.:fiddy:

D

·
0 Posts
What you're doing wrong is riding the bike wrong. Just because you have a slip-on wont mean that you'll go faster. Try shifting at 12k-13k RPM rather then redline too. The bike makes it's peak power around there, so going up to 15k is just a waste.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Work on the launch, your reaction time can be sweet but if your 60ft stinks you're screwed. You need to be well under 2sec 60ft (1.6-1.7ish). I ran an 11.2 on my 03 R6(which is notably slower than yours) when every other 600 there could barely break into 11s. I skipped the burnout & let the rear just spin a bit off the line (be careful) & it helped keep the engine from bogging down. If you let the engine bog down you blew it. It can be tricky but your 60ft time is the most important thing. To really get a good start you're either burning the **** out of your clutch or your tire, pick one.:fiddy:
This man hit the nail on the head. Your 60ft is the MOST important thing in the 1/4th. Dont do anything more to your bike just learn to ride it better and get the 60 down you'll see huge diffrences :toothy4:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
you might wanna try around 9000 rpm, its closer to peak torque, then bounce it up, clutchless, off the rev limiter. I aint no expert though..just my 2c. sounds like fun trying.

what he said ,
the redline is past the power curve and is not going to help you accelerate .

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you so much. i want a better time before i go down a tooth. i'll definatelly try the better launch and shifting sooner. i noticed toward the end of the night i was getting better... what shold i be running average here at my elevation? any ideas?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also... what is a good gearing for it for torque and still bein able to hit the highway? i hear -1/+2 is good from here... but my buddy is -2 and loves it. ... also, i wanna hit up an occassional empty lot for some practice wheelies. any ideas? thx.

·
Registered
349 Posts
have fun at the strip, Hope though you have some tools and are ready to change your clutch cause it will be gone soon. In the meantime have fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... my 0-60's were ...

1.943, 2.080, 2.062, 2.049, 2.055, 2.034, 2.069, 1.946, 2.193 i noticed i was a little slow. i'm gonna run this friday again. i'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have fun at the strip, Hope though you have some tools and are ready to change your clutch cause it will be gone soon. In the meantime have fun.
how do i prevent the clutch from overheating? also, are the expensive or hard to do?! thx.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah jim definitely shave those 60ft's down. Just don't loop the damn thing LOL. I forgot what the "rule of thumb" was, something like 1 tenth sec in your 60ft is about 2 or 3 tenths in your ET. Something like that but it has a lot more impact than you would initially think since every bit of speed you pick up early on stays with you through the entire run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every tenth you gain off the line is worth 2 on the big end.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts