Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that the limit lean angle for Dunlop Q3s and most other performance street/track tires in the that range is about 52 degrees (GP-A racing tires probably closer to the 60 degrees range, like MotoGP?). I know, I know, there are many variables, like speed, curb, chassis, body positions etc, tire size, etc. But can you confidentely say that dragging the elbow on Q3s/600RR is possible under some conditions? Or is it looking for low-sides matter?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Body position is important. Why you would want to lean that far I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
max lean is max lean at any speed re guard less of well anything.

I think Thex and wibbly think your funny and stupid haha.

Anyway Id like to know what max lean angles are on performance tires for shits an giggles. Oh and im generally interested

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
The angle has a lot of variables such as heat, weight, camber of the surface, composition of the surface, etc. - you could never get a hard and true number out of that.

Most dragging elbow pics out there are clearly mugging for the camera with very non-fast body position and holding the grip almost on the edge.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knee dragging was used to be a lean angle reference point when the max tire angle was around 50 degrees. This limit has obviously been passed in MotoGP and most likely Dunlop GP-A tires. I'm not asking how to ride, I'm asking whether the elbow is a good reference point on a CBR600RR on Q3s or we're stuck at 50/52 degrees max.

But I understand half the people here think those who drag their knee is to look cool.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A good rider on a well set up bike may be able to drag elbow.

Do i think it is a good reference point no because of all the variables. I would put a riders ability or pace on those tires. If you can drag elbow with good body position you shouldn't be on q3's. You are riding beyond what that tire was meant for.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Not GP-A's (N-Tec's?) but def dragging elbow on a 600RR with a purpose.

Moto2 world champion Tito Rabat circulating around his home track of Almeria. Literally home. He lives there in a trailer. What does that mean to us? Nothing really but a good example of someone taking our bike and showing us how it's done.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Another world class fast guy showing elbow down on a 600RR. Same track. Tires?
Nothing goofy about his elbow down position. Yes, clearly mugging for the camera especially the one handed elbow down but otherwise his position is all business as he's purposely not on race pace behind the camera. Fun vid though.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thats Badass But I dont think that bikes stock or even close. or is it?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Definitely home brew - he has bark busters and no front fender on that thing, haha

haha didn't even notice the fender.. What the hells a bark buster

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you can drag elbow with good body position you shouldn't be on q3's. You are riding beyond what that tire was meant for.
That's what I was aiming for. I vaguely remember reading Q3 supported lean angle is 50 degrees. But notice how by saying, "elbow on the ground is too much for Q3s", you are implying that the elbow is a reference point. And dragging the knee *is* done to have a reference point. Otherwise what's the point to open the inside leg before each corner?

Some people here should stick with BOTY contexts and other bike shining activities.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.