Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Drain Plug loosening (unwanted)

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  AFwestPunk 
#1 ·
Here is the issue i have come across twice this week. My oil drain plug is coming out of my bike will i ride.
Yes when the oil is changed it is torqued to spec but with in a few days the bolt will come flying out and leave me stranded on the side of the road

Now if you have been following my thread (Shinigami's Bankai) you know i have modded the hell out of my bike. with the latest mod being powdercoating my rims and swing arm. Now i think i have read some where that powdercoating the swingarm causes vibrations in the bike. so my theory is these vibrations are causing the plug to get loose then eventually fall out.

Of course while my bike was in the shop i had the mechanic working on the my map and tune my bike to fully utilize all the mods on it. so would this new power also have something to do with the plug flying?
This is confusing the hell out of me, I am almost to the point of giving up riding. :help:

#2 ·
Hmm, that's weird. Conspiracy theories... Good thing you didn't come off when it popped out!

I can think of two things you could do - you could either locktite the threads, basically gluing the bolt in place, or you could lockwire it by drilling a hole in the corner of the flats of the bolt head and stringing wire between it and another fixed object on the bike, say another bolt.

The latter is the better idea IMO, and no amount of vibration could possibly make it come loose. Thread locker might come back to bite you in the ass at a later stage, but its your choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

#4 ·
yes there is a washer
crazy thing though a few days ago i made a longr trip with no issue
but last night i was making a short trip when it happened. Damnedest thing

Yeah i think i am going to do what you suggested raptor and get it wired. Just need to find a maching drain plug and washer

#11 ·
the honda dealer says they will have to inspect the motor to see if the damage is covered under warranty. It will cost 2k regardless.
My insurance may cover it but i have to wait till Monday to find out.

However i found 2 motors on Craigslist i could get
so...

#13 ·
had the same drain plug problem happen on my '03 a couple of weeks back. luckily it didn't pop out til i was almost in the parking lot where i live. pulled in, parked, and checked it out and the drain plug was completely gone, oil pan was still dumping oil everywhere and my back tire was soaked in the stuff. got a ride to the shop, one drain plug, one washer, and few quarts of oil later i was back on the road. haven't had any trouble since.

#18 ·
Bugger dude, that sucks! You've had really bad luck with your bike lately!

Hmm, if I were you, I'd not mention to the shop that the bolt came out and that you'd lost your oil. They'd immediately cite that as the reason why your engine seized, as most of the damage could have been done then. Let them work it out for themselves, and see what they say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.