Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banger: ok, ok. it was an accident!:crackup:. i was exiting a roundabout and give it obviously a bit too much gas in the middle of straightening up out the turn and the back end stepped out what seemed like 12 inches (in reality prob a lot less than that! lol) i eased off the throttle a touch and the back end come back into check. have to say tho i was half thinking i was lucky, and half thinking YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!!!!!! lol:crackup:it must of looked bad ass watching it from the side of the road!!:banger: it was also raining too which helped the drift a lot. for the rest of the journey home though, i had a big smile on my face lol. just wondering how many of you guys have done this. and how many can actually do it intentionally. its something i`d love to be able to master, but not practicing on my 600rr!!:crackup:

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
it is a weird feeling! ive never done it on the road, but done it a few times on the track, and you sure do get some pucker factor. usually referred to as an oh jesus moment. cause if you dont get sorted out you may be on your way out haha. good job on the save!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Generally speaking, getting off of the throttle when the backend steps out is NOT a good thing to do. Try to keep maintenance throttle and most of the time the rearend will hook up. Letting off, like you did, many times will result in a highside and depending how fast you are going, may shoot you to the moon. Glad you saved it!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a weird feeling! ive never done it on the road, but done it a few times on the track, and you sure do get some pucker factor. usually referred to as an oh jesus moment. cause if you dont get sorted out you may be on your way out haha. good job on the save!
mate am still smiling about it now! lol. was the track dry when you`ve done it? i can imagine its a bit violent on a dry surface. when this happend to me earlier, ther was nothing violent about it really. it stepped out and come back without much drama. it seemed to be very controllable. i didnt back off the throttle completely, i just eased off a couple of millimetres. not that i`l be trying it intentionally anytime soon like haha. it has got me wondering about the tires i have on right now though. pirelli diablo`s. not the diablo corsa. this never happend with the stock bridgstones BT015s that were on it. not sure if its the tires or the fact i`m getting more confidant on my bike taking bends slightly quicker than i was.. Mmmmm????? as much as its give me the grin factor, i think i`l be taking it a bit easier on bends in the wet in future! haha:crackup:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally speaking, getting off of the throttle when the backend steps out is NOT a good thing to do. Try to keep maintenance throttle and most of the time the rearend will hook up. Letting off, like you did, many times will result in a highside and depending how fast you are going, may shoot you to the moon. Glad you saved it!
yeah your right. i think if i let off the throttle all the way things might have been different. like i said i eased off a millimetre or 2. i was doing only around 30, but like you say if the rear bites you may be getting ejected off lol

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
i've done it quite often, and yes, you NEVER let off the throttle. Even if you're only doing 30mph, you won't know if there is enough momentum to actually buck you off until its too late.

The first time I did it I ran over some oil, and although it probably looked badass, I was scared sh1tless. After that time I learned to slightly lift my butt (only a tiny lil bit), enough to relieve some weight from the rear end while still on the throttle. This seems to allow the back wheel to do its shenanigans and gradually regain grip.

Even when it happens by accident, I dont even think about it anymore and just go with the flow. But, I still get pretty excited when it happens.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I posted a video of me on here last year going down because I let off the throttle when the back end started stepping out....if I had maintained throttle setting and tried straightening the bike out I probably could have saved it. Feels like your about to lowside from the rear and then WHAMMM. Tire hooked and Bike tossed me off like I was sitting on an airbag that exploded. Highside like a mofo. Funniest part was that as soon I the bike said it was done with my shitty ass it ghostrode itself to a stop off on the side of the track.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've done it quite often, and yes, you NEVER let off the throttle. Even if you're only doing 30mph, you won't know if there is enough momentum to actually buck you off until its too late.

The first time I did it I ran over some oil, and although it probably looked badass, I was scared sh1tless. After that time I learned to slightly lift my butt (only a tiny lil bit), enough to relieve some weight from the rear end while still on the throttle. This seems to allow the back wheel to do its shenanigans and gradually regain grip.

Even when it happens by accident, I dont even think about it anymore and just go with the flow. But, I still get pretty excited when it happens.

mate your absolutley spot on about lifting your wieght off the seat coz thats what i done instinctively. i didnt stand up, but i put my wieght on the pegs. and like i say it seemed to be a very smooth drift to be honest. there was no biting in to the tarmac by the rear tire... IT WAS GREAT YO SHOULD OF SEEN ME!!! lmao:crackup:but yeah i did **** when it happened like:eek:hyeah: haha

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted a video of me on here last year going down because I let off the throttle when the back end started stepping out....if I had maintained throttle setting and tried straightening the bike out I probably could have saved it. Feels like your about to lowside from the rear and then WHAMMM. Tire hooked and Bike tossed me off like I was sitting on an airbag that exploded. Highside like a mofo. Funniest part was that as soon I the bike said it was done with my shitty ass it ghostrode itself to a stop off on the side of the track.

lmao funny that mate.. well its not actually funny its the way you told it haha you should post the vid up. be interesting to see it

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a bit near me after you come of a roundabout and head up hill where I have done the same thing twice in the damp. Never intentional (whats the point in throwing away grip) and each time I have got lucky and pulled it back in after an arse clenching second or two.

A few months ago I was in the car at the same roundabout and looked in my rearview to see a kid on a Fazer come round and could only cringe as I saw his back end step out one way, then the other, then flipped him off.

Not sure why he went down so hard but reading the above I guess he probably dropped the throttle. I dont remember what I did at the time tho certainly backed of an prayed, how much I backed of I have no idea but good to know that I best not go too far.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a bit near me after you come of a roundabout and head up hill where I have done the same thing twice in the damp. Never intentional (whats the point in throwing away grip) and each time I have got lucky and pulled it back in after an arse clenching second or two.

A few months ago I was in the car at the same roundabout and looked in my rearview to see a kid on a Fazer come round and could only cringe as I saw his back end step out one way, then the other, then flipped him off.

Not sure why he went down so hard but reading the above I guess he probably dropped the throttle. I dont remember what I did at the time tho certainly backed of an prayed, how much I backed of I have no idea but good to know that I best not go too far.
yeah my arse was clenched mate, could of cracked a walnut shell with my cheeks!:crackup:
when i had my off over the winter, thats what happened to me, the backend went one way then the other, all of a sudden me and the bike are sliding down the road. it happened so quick and was so violent i was just a passenger along for the ride. it was on ice tho so it was all a bit forgiving. would hate that to happen directly on the tarmac.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had a few very small ones on track exiting corners on the gas, not on purpose.
And once on the street in the rain. Pulled out to pass a car and waited to hit the gas til I was clear of the car, but the bike did not accelerate, so Thought the clucth had gone, until the rearwheel startede to come around on me ;) somehow manneged to straighten the bike out and save it...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Its really a [email protected] feeling isn't it? Have had it happen a couple times on dry street. I can do it turning from the stop sign at the end of my street. Tires aren't warmed up at that point, so when I get on the throttle hard, the back steps out just a bit. Never really got it to the point where I felt I would highside, it just moves out a couple inches. But man is it a rush!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I believe he says he backed off a little, not completely let off, which to me sounds about the right thing to do. But completely letting off is a big no no!

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
It happens to me every now and then at the track, it still scares me a little every time. But like struckbylitening said I just keep on the throttle and lift my ass off the seat so my suspension and back tire can do their thing.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
cant do it at slow speeds but at high speeds i can do it pretty consistently...it gets easier to do it when you have more power to break some traction....dirtbikes really help with this....and if you want to practice and a cheap way too... get something like a ttr125....those are fun....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a few very small ones on track exiting corners on the gas, not on purpose.
And once on the street in the rain. Pulled out to pass a car and waited to hit the gas til I was clear of the car, but the bike did not accelerate, so Thought the clucth had gone, until the rearwheel startede to come around on me ;) somehow manneged to straighten the bike out and save it...
had a similar experience, in the wet again. i accelerated hard, the rear done a little booty shake, but my 1st thought was wtf??? i was just going in a straight line tho so my rear didnt actually come round it just wobbled.

Its really a [email protected] feeling isn't it? Have had it happen a couple times on dry street. I can do it turning from the stop sign at the end of my street. Tires aren't warmed up at that point, so when I get on the throttle hard, the back steps out just a bit. Never really got it to the point where I felt I would highside, it just moves out a couple inches. But man is it a rush!
yeeeeah man you know its a badass feeling! :banger:. i imagine even more so when you mean to do it lol. if i was rich, maybe i`d try it intentionally lol:crackup: only going at slowish speeds. i dont wanna wreck my bike though, cant afford to replace it lol

I believe he says he backed off a little, not completely let off, which to me sounds about the right thing to do. But completely letting off is a big no no!
yeah mate thats what i done, just rolled off a touch, and steered the front end slightly in to it a little.:thumbup:

It happens to me every now and then at the track, it still scares me a little every time. But like struckbylitening said I just keep on the throttle and lift my ass off the seat so my suspension and back tire can do their thing.
yeah man it is a scary thing to happen on a sportsbike like isnt it. its not natural. A good feeling tho when you come out the other end in one piece lol

dont like that feeling, last time that happened i almost high side my ass
:crackup: your rear must have stepped out pretty wide i take it? scary!. its something that i hope doesnt happen again, unless i want it to happen. i think there must have been some oil on the road when it happened to me, coz i wasnt really that hard on the gas when i was exiting the roundabout, and there are a lot of buses on this road also which seem to spit out oil every 20 yards.

cant do it at slow speeds but at high speeds i can do it pretty consistently...it gets easier to do it when you have more power to break some traction....dirtbikes really help with this....and if you want to practice and a cheap way too... get something like a ttr125....those are fun....
mate i need some lessons from you lol. to be honest its not something i want to go out and spend money on trying to do. it would just be cool if i could do it on my RR, safely! lol. i was always a person who`d try crazy stuff on my bmx when i was younger. now i`m older its converted to wanting to do something on my RR.... Me - cbr600rr - smartass tricks... bad combination! haha

·
Registered
93 Posts
ive done this too only under straight on excelleration though. both times i did it i thought the clutch was slipping only too look back and see rubber on the road. i think i had mud or something on the tires just enough to break traction. i felt the rear kick out maybe 3 or 4 inches but i just kinda rode it out. not to compare this to drifting in a corner thats just scary haha.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts