Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for fitment specs of the drive sprocket on the output shaft

With the chain completely off, i noticed it floats axially a lot relative to the shaft, something like 1-2 mm, and also it rocks side-to-side like crazy. The washer is there, but the bolt/washer seem to be tight on a shaft shoulder or something, not on the sprocket.

Is this normal?

is it the case where the drive sprocket floats to offset-align itself with the wheel sprocket? If so, how much is too little or too much?

I get that sprocket/kits come in different thicknesses but I assumed it only applied at the teeth, not near the bore/spline as well. or is it the case?

or is it the case where the mechanic might have thrown in a wrong or cheapcrap sprocket kit?

digging the older threads i found a nico quote: "The after market ones are generally a little looser than the OEM ones, but not enough to cause problems. " which is assuring , but i'd be grateful for some numbers.

Also seems a good idea to grease the splines, is it a thing? its bone dry and the manual doesn't say anything about it...any help is appreciated

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
There's a bit of lateral movement allowed on the drive sprocket. Bolt tightens until it makes contact with the drive shaft shoulder.
Yes, grease splines lightly.
There's a good thread on drive sprocket mounting orientation, maybe use search?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a bit of lateral movement allowed on the drive sprocket. Bolt tightens until it makes contact with the drive shaft shoulder.
Yes, grease splines lightly.
There's a good thread on drive sprocket mounting orientation, maybe use search?
good to hear that the play is normal and will be adding some grease. I don't like the rocking though and will look into better brands that fit better.

I've been at search and there's a big bunch of sprocket threads but most bring up only ratio and the 520 chain stuff. Just had another look and got a couple about orientation but they didn't really touch on this play & looseness; and also found a really old thread when OP asked if 0.03" axial play is normal.. no answers though. I'll be spending there some more time there I guess.

Anyhow, it seems that it's not as big a deal as am making it to be, which makes sense as know that I think about it, the wheel sprocket being locked in position, is probably going to pull the drive socket to its center...might just have to keep an eye on whether it pulls all the way to either side, and at least check chain alignment with front sprocket once, which I never did (bike crashed).

About the thickness though, anyone has the stock thickness of the front sprocket near the shaft? ... I think a thinner base might be contributing to the 'rocking', adding to the looser fit of aftermarkets in general.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts