Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from a ride. The bars on my gas gauge keep going from 1 bar to 2 bars back to 1 bar and so on... It really confused me as to when I should fill up. So I passed a station and it said 2 bars left and then when I stopped at a light it said 1 bar! So I U Turned and went to the gas station. The bike only took 2.3 gallons and I had 1 bar left on the gauge!

Also when is the appropriate time to shift for around town? 2nd at 20mph, 3rd at 30mph and so on? Sometimes I shift at 2nd gear around 35, 3rd at around 50ish... is that running the bike to hard? I am still getting used to it because the bike just tells me to "****** GO!" and I feel like I am slugging along if I shift "properly". Anyone help me out?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The fuel sensor gets confused when the bike is going up or down a hill... Just fill up when the last bar flashes and you'll be OK. And only trust the fuel gauge when you are on flat ground.

The 600rr is designed to be revved hard, if you aren't breaking it in, stay in 11k-15k range rpm for most performance (during track days I shift at 14k), I normally ride 7k-11k rpm in twisties. And let it warm up before you rev it hard... Stay in low RPM during the first couple of minutes of your ride (tires, oil, coolant, engine, everything warms up to optimal temperature).

I reread it again and I think you are referring to Honda user manual with the speed and shifting. The owners manual is a total BS. Don't listen to it. Rev it hard. No need to shift to second gear in town but to make it a bit more quiet. Shifting at low RPM won't be smooth.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Gas gauges aren't very reliable on bikes, use the odometer. I usually fill up after ~120 miles, less if I ride in the city. My gauge said I had 2 bars left one time and then I ran out of gas, very embarrassing pushing a bike down the road in uniform.

·
Registered
543 Posts
gas in the tank sloshes around so the gauge goes up and down what i do it look at the trip meter and fill up around 125miles and no ur not riding ur bike too hard, ur barely using the engine....do what you want its not gonna hurt the bike.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I shift around 4-5 rpm when in town so I get great gas mileage.
You can shift whenever. But I'm like this guy, I like to get gas mileage when I'm around town. There's a time for performance, and a time for economy. :banger:

D

·
0 Posts
You're not riding the bike too hard until plooms of oil smoke start coming out of the exhaust.

Ride the thing like the naughty little bitch it is and don't forget to spank it.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
^yes.... but through town i shift around 3-6 depending on situation, but if im riding spirited i run out a lot more. and yes do not fully trust the guage i use that more as a reference more than anything i use my tripometer more as a rock solid reference

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the positive responses guys. Yeah the bike is new. I have maybe 160miles on the odo. I have been grandma'ing it around a tad and sometimes gassing it. Most I keep the rpm's down when cruising around town. It is a toy for me, just something to enjoy. So I try to have fun when its completely clear...but mostly I keep the rpm's low for now. I have a few more hundred miles to go until I can really let er rip. So I am guessing this is normal. Maybe the computer has to learn and everything has to sync up. Same thing happened in my cars but the opposite. I would get amazing gas mileage before 500 miles. Then the mileage would drop a bit then level out and then become normal around 1k miles or 1,500. So I am assuming that is what is going on or perhaps I am just paying to close attention to it because I am aware of it. I didn't really get the bike for MPG but it would be nice not having to gas up every 4 days! lol.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Just shift at around 6k and keep it between 4-5k RPM when around town.

As for the gas gauge it should only be used as a quick reference. I always reset the A trip odometer when I fill up, when it gets to around 130 miles I know its time to think about filling up again.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The owners manual is a total BS. Don't listen to it.

yes. dont listen to the owners manual, like the part about: change your oil, milage maintaince, storage, specifications, fuel, load limits, etc. it is is all bs. and if you read that book you will become more dumber.

A

·
0 Posts
ha keep it between 5-7k rpm.. vary it all the time... dont stay constant on one rpm for to long.. u want the rings to get all the movement possible... one the computer learns everything it will come out a little closer to reality... but like it was said above.. use it as a reference.. sometimes the gauge gets stuck because the piece in the tank gets stuck in one place... and bam u run out of gas!!! hahaha good luck man... and take ur time on the bike!

·
Registered
156 Posts
i usually fill up when i see it hit one bar, two if i know i'm going on a trip. i live in kansas though so i am always on level ground haha. i usually shift to 2nd at 30mph for city riding. as you get used to the bike you'll know when it likes to be shifted. if you're breaking it in, don't keep high sustained rpm for long. have fun and be careful!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I shift @ 5k. I get to 100 miles b4 the fuel light starts flashing, putting in about 2.5-3 gallons.. 40 mpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't shift higher than 2nd gear for 50 mph and under (around town). If I'm riding harder I'll still have it in 1st gear at that speed. I pretty much red line (or very close to it) through every gear when I'm really riding hard. There is no rhyme or reason to my shifting, you can shift when you want really, as long as you aren't bouncing off your rev limiter constantly. Sometimes I'll shift into 6th as I get onto the HWY and just cruise and other times I'll have it in 2nd-3rd gear at the same speeds - usually when I'm feeling more frisky.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Beat the **** out of it.

Do it, now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts