Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently just picked up a Phantom drone that holds a gopro amd was wondering if these allowed at track? Not trying to fly it right over or close to the track but i think it would be a sick shot to get a nice aerial view of the track or hover near a corner or straight

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on the organisers/owners of the track. We flew our DetachY and Phantom drones couple of times and you can get some very very nice shots. The only problem is that gopro camera has a very wide fov and has barrel distorsion so you have to come very close to the moving vehicles to get some money shots.

The best ones you get when the drone is also moving fast in the same or opposite direction so try that ones the most. The static shots are well, a bit static and mostly boring;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should come out with a different lense attachment that narrows and magnifies the fov.. Ive noticed the same thing with aerial footage, everything becomes tiny and seems further away and smaller than it actually is.. Otherwise its definitely cool seeing shots from birdseye view

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Most tracks wont let you do it during events. We've asked.

Our local Org had to get special permission to get it done for their latest promotion. You'll see a few shot in the video below

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some pretty sweet shots!

Blackhawk Farms is the perfect track for a drone with how tight it is and all the area within the track to film from.

Who did you goto for permission?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
I was playing with a system that would use GPS to put the drone into a hover, then have it look for a certain marking on my helmet. It really is a simple thing to do. If you want more info, rcgroups.com is a HUGE resource, but http://fpvlab.com/forums/ is where the passionate flyers are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
I think because Mike/Kathleen/John were filming their own promo they took the insurance risk.

Plus you should check out these guys http://www.airdog.com/

Those are some pretty sweet shots!

Blackhawk Farms is the perfect track for a drone with how tight it is and all the area within the track to film from.

Who did you goto for permission?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have a phantom with a tarot t-2d gimbal with added pitch control. I've got some dope shots with it.

If you plan on getting any useable footage you HAVE to buy a gimbal. The footage is terribly shaky with out it.

This was some footage I got the day I installed the gimbal. It does a pretty good job. (It was super windy that day)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
This is how bad the footage is when it's not on a gimbal (footage was heavily stabilized in After Effects)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Austicus, where did you get your gimbal from? that looks like something i need, thanks for sharing

Lifetap that was a sweet vid! Thats the kind of shots i want to be getting.. Do you know what type of drone was used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts