Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried installing a new gas cap and one of the rubber O rings for the long bolts fell off into the tank. I can see it sitting at the bottom w/ a flashlight. The bolt did not go into the tank although I cant find it anywhere but I looked all around inside the tank and its not there. As far as the O ring what should I do? Does it need to come out or can it be left there?

·
BOTY Winner 2015 - BOTM Winner 04/2015
7,282 Posts
if it was me, i wouldn't leave anything in there... and must be a tool out there that works like the magnetic tool, but with a grip instead :ponder:

something like this but smaller that could possibly grab the rubber o-ring...

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doubt a spring hook will work, not enough room to maneuver it around and its to flexible, need something that would have to grab it, like a really long pair of needle nose pliers.

·
7,282 Posts
doubt a spring hook will work, not enough room to maneuver it around and its to flexible, need something that would have to grab it, like a really long pair of needle nose pliers.
:popcorn::popcorn:

if it was me, i wouldn't leave anything in there... and must be a tool out there that works like the magnetic tool, but with a grip instead :ponder:

something like this but smaller that could possibly grab the rubber o-ring...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Or tape on a stick long enough to reach it?

·
7,282 Posts
here you go, problem solved :thumbup:

Four Claw Pick Up Tool

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
You're thinking of the wrong kind of spring hook.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
this thread reminds me of monkeys learning to fish for bugs using sticks.

YOU CAN SEE IT! how can you not figure out how to get it? just take a coathanger, hay wire, anything!

sorry, but honestly dude... use your brain

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
ah coat hanger would prolly work well

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
this thread reminds me of monkeys learning to fish for bugs using sticks.

YOU CAN SEE IT! how can you not figure out how to get it? just take a coathanger, hay wire, anything!

sorry, but honestly dude... use your brain
hey moron did you read the thread? I never said I have no idea on how to get it out I said does it have to come or could it be left there everyone started to give suggestions on how to get it out...... But honestly dude learn to read

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're thinking of the wrong kind of spring hook.
That would be better then what I previously thought of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't leave the o-ring in the tank, and more importantly you should locate the bolt. A stray bolt can cause a lot of damage. I'd start by removing the tank, pull the fuel pump, and flush the tank to ensure its not in there. And do some searching around to see if the bolt shows up. Just my $0.02.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldn't leave the o-ring in the tank, and more importantly you should locate the bolt. A stray bolt can cause a lot of damage. I'd start by removing the tank, pull the fuel pump, and flush the tank to ensure its not in there. And do some searching around to see if the bolt shows up. Just my $0.02.

Well thats the part that worries me, looked all through the tank and cant see it anywhere yet I cant find it on the garage floor anywhere either

·
7,282 Posts
Well thats the part that worries me, looked all through the tank and cant see it anywhere yet I cant find it on the garage floor anywhere either
well, then you can use what i suggested to get the rubber o-ring out, and then get a magnetic tool and just run it in the tank, hopefully that will work to find the bolt if there :popcorn:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now keep in mind I don't have a CBR, so I don't know the exact layout. Could it have rolled down the tank into the frame area? Or seat area? Down in a crevice? It's possible it just dropped on the floor and took a bounce to where you won't find it, so it may not even be in the bike. I know a lot of people that would go with that and not do anything. And I'm not saying that's completely terrible. I'm just too paranoid of a person to not search. If I remember correctly, taking the tank of my buddies RR wasn't horrible, aside from the vent tubes. Maybe even just stand up the tank to look under, and poke around with a magnet. You might just get lucky.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts